VDMX Beta 8.7.2.9 now ready for testing!

Hey Everyone!

We have a new update for you to try out!

A few changes here from b8.7.2.7

• Update to NDI 5
  • Bug fixes

If you run into any problems, please use the “Report Bug” option in the Help menu.

Download here:
https://vidvox.net/download/VDMX5_b8.7.2.9.dmg

6 Likes

Thanks is there any further detail on the bug fixes?

David would have to chime in on that, but I know a few arised from 8.7.2.7.

Vuo V2.3.2 and VDMX5 b0.8.7.2.9 issues processing OSC

I’m processing Vuo clips in the latest beta VDMX and driving published parameters via OSC data.

I notice sometimes it appears VDMX does not process all the OSC data and sliders fail to move in VDMX. Other times its fine.

Some ports process data correctly and others fail to respond.

I checked the data coming out of the sending programme using a OSC Data Monitor tool and I can confirm the data is sent to the correct port and name space.

As a unit test I also created a version of the Vuo composition and added some nodes to process the OSC data directly and this works as expected.

I then added the clip into VDMX and processed the same data and the clip in VDMX doesn’t seem to process the OSC data as expected.

It would appear that VDMX has problems processing OSC data in Vuo composition, with a separate port for VDMX and Vuo. In Vuo V1.2.8 and the non beta version of VDMX worked ok with processing OSC data directly in Vuo and not via a published parameter.

It would also appear that VDMX has problems processing all OSC data values on occasions.

I have logged these issues directly via Report Bug and email but also reaching out to the community to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

The unit testing I did when processing directly in Vuo works as expected.

Hi Jon,

Which values are dropped by VDMX? Can you share you OSC address information (bool, float, etc) (and your port settings?) What are you in ports and out ports for VDMX, Vuo, and Veźer. Are any of them the same? Conflicts? Are you sending over network, GigE or Wifi, or all local?

In VDMX, what are the settings for recieving the OSC values?

If you send the OSC values that keep getting dropped to a control surface slider or button in VDMX, does it still drop the value?

These are just a few Q’s to get the ball rolling. Also, feel free to make a new post in the forums about it – you might get more replies if it’s not buried in a Beta thread.

Thanks!

Hi,
I have visual bug since the 8.7.2.7
The fx tab is displaying strange artefact, my first assets should be blank.
I’m on OS X Catalina last version.

()

If you rescale the window does it go away? I’ve noticed this happening in the past when I loaded old projects or multiple templates. It stopped happening after I rebuilta project. Is this a new project created in Catalina?

sorry I didn’t try this - I went back to the current version
Maybe it was started with a older version of OS X - now I’m on Catalina.
hope I will not have to start from scratch this project. too much hour of work on it

We tend to build newer updates and fixes based on bug reports that come from the latest versions. Many times users roll back to older versions and report older bugs that were addressed in newer versions. It is understandable that older OS and computer need the older versions, which is why we’ll continue to keep them available, but if you’re using a new OS, you should try to report bugs from the latest version. If it’s something we can reproduce, or happens to multiple users, it makes it easier for us to find the problem and fix it.

There are always bugs, and that’s the nature of any application, but VDMX is always in development. Many times there is user error, or hardware issues, that seem like bugs in VDMX, but are caused by other factors. VDMX tends to push the hardware and software to the limits, and can trigger problems in the system enviornment that are already there.

For hardware diagnostics, I like to recommend Etre Check to identify some pain points for the computer: https://etrecheck.com/

Disk Utility, to check the health of your drive (EtreCheck will do this when you run it).

If you have a bug report or crash using the latest version, please use the built-in VDMX bug reporter as it will give us system hardware specifics that we can keep track of on our end. If you submit the report through Apple, it does not share that, nor a way to get back in contact with you to try and replicate.

I know this is long winded, but it may help some other users in the future to share their problems and help us troubleshoot.

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for keeping VDMX at the top !
When you say older OS - is Catalina in ?

Older OS as in 10.11 or 10.12

1 Like

I’m still in the game !

It was seeming to work alright (my projects would now load) at home, but crashed twice in me at a gig and I’ve gone back to using 8.7.2.4

Haven’t had a chance to try to do any debugging at home with 8.7.2.9 but will report if I find anything.

Strange. Did you send a bug report? I had a few gigs with 8.7.2.9 and no issues. The gigs were only 6 hours a piece, so not sure if you were running it longer?

I tested this issue by remapping a OSC data value to a slider like Opacity and it worked fine. I then noticed in a previous time space where I sent the same amount of data but slighly offset in time, I slightly offset the data in the sending application and seemed to work.

I did not find any OSC monitoring tool within VDMX but I did use another tool to verify the data been sent.

Here’s an example in the sending application.

Would something like this help you?

https://www.kasperkamperman.com/blog/processing-code/osc-datamonitor/

You can use the built in VDMX comm display to monitor OSC data, but if you’re sending so much at the same time, it might be hard to distinguish specific controls

You can also try OSCulator for routing, and forward individual controls into some form of visualizer.