Apple silicon ARM Macs

im pretty curious of this too!

Hi All,

so I’ve been testing extensively VDMX on my new MBPro 13’’ M1 16GB RAM (OS: Big Sur 11.4), in 2 live events on 4k and FullHD projector output, as well as NDI, and a home-stress test on 4k monitor. I’ve noticed SEVERAL ISSUES AND BUGS - here’s my report:

1-Running smooth with HAP and ISFs even at high resolutions (4k) and with 4k output with 3 layers (VDMX render options at default);

2-SUPERBUGGY interface when getting stressed over 80% CPU usage (NO response on most of the sliders and commands, missing menu items on several plugins, while video runs anyways smooth and MIDI response on my AKAI controller runs without issues … very strange).

3-Sound Analysis NOT working at all with internal mic (while stressed over 80%).

4-NDI has always the same issue as 2 years back (sorry I’ve never reported this before): even if I’m running NDI INTERNALLY - sending from VDMX and receiving from other app as Madmapper - when running at full load (pixel intensity / details / CPU stress) - the output comes at crashed resolution of 1/4th approx. I’ve noticed this annoying problem in VDMX even on very performing machines, while Syphoning through Madmapper and sending NDI from there solves completely this issue.

5-No chance of having more than 1 x video-out as MBpro M1 comes locked with 1 output only. I’m buying now a Sonnet TB3 to DualHDMI and will try if that works, but I doubt it…

Overall performance I think is pretty good, I guess these problems come with the new updates of the OS and probabily need to be fixed on a VDMX update (correct?)

Fede (Deltaprocess.it)

Hi Delta,

Which version are you running?

Thanks,
-Cornelius

HI Cornelius,

Version is
b0.8.7.2.4,
Please let us know ASAP if there’s any fix to my and my partners email fays.fernandes@gmail.com as tomorrow she has a show with this mac and would be amazing if she could play wothout these issues

Thanks a lot

New feedback on M1 :

• SONNET DUAL HDMI not compatible
  • TB3 / display port (apple) adapter, doesn’t work for video output thus:
  • MATROX TripleHead2Go SE not compatible
  • 4K output limited to 30Hz

For VJING, this laptop its a complete disaster, unless u go with a single out

F

You’ll have to email support@vidvox.net for license activation resets. As for b0.8.7.2.4, try b0.8.7.2.9 and see if anything changes. b8.7.2.7 has been out for sometime now.

I thought M1 macs were hardware limited to one external display?

Here’s what apple says:
While the M1 MacBooks natively support just one monitor, the M1 Mac Mini does natively support up to two external monitors - one via the HDMI port and a second via USB-C. But the latest models of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro support only one external display.

Ah cool, thanks! Will try that. I thought VDMX was asking automatically to update to new versions: 2.4 is still the only one that can be downloaded from the website. I did send bug report + wrote to support 3rd of September but no answer yet

1 Like

Yes, I saw your email to support in which you linked to your forum post, so we are replying to your forum post.

Ok, so tried with this last version of VDMX and the problem remains the same: video runs smooth but interface is extremely laggy - I can move most of the controls, meaning they work on the video output, but I can’t see them moving on the interface. It appears happening only after few minutes of the patch running (expecially once CPU/GPU is stressed). Basically once I set a patch, I can use it but can’t change or see anything of what I’m doing. Sound Analysis still doesn’t work. Clips luckily can be changed. Please let us know if there’s any extra information I can send to help finding a solution. Thanks a lot! :)

1 Like

Please send a bug report when using the latest version. We want to make sure it’s similar to another issue we are aware of and working on as we speak. Thanks

Just sent one! hope it helps, thanks!

Hi Cornelius, have u by chance managed to understand the cause of this issue? Is that something u guys are planning to solve anytime soon? Just trying to understand whether to organize our work with different machines (non M1) for our next shows beginning of October.
Thanks a lot

I do not at the moment. Maybe David does. There are some odd issues that pop up on M1 macs when memory is running low. So it only happens to some users, while not others. A native M1 build is the next step we are working on to solve this.

Hey There.
I need to spec some computers for two nightclub installs using VDMX.
I’m kind of hesitant to go with the M1 Mac Minis after reading this thread, even though it seems that there also are people reporting good performance generally on the M1 macs.

Anyone got audioanalysis working on the M1? I need audio analysis to be working on the system unattended, so this is important.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

/Lau

Hi Lau,

M1 Mac Minis run VDMX just fine, but for some reason a few users have issues with Audio Analysis and we are not sure why as of yet. There will be a native apple silicone build of VDMX that will make better use of the M1 architecture. For now all of these M1 macs are running VDMX through Rosetta 2 which reduces performance overall. If you do get a Mac mini, I’d recommend updating to 12.0.1 and getting a 16GB version. Running out of memory on an M1 forces it to use swap which pulls from the internal SSD. Some M1 users are currently using the internal SSD to pull media from, while running simeltanous apps off the internal SSD. When a swap happens, it’s hard to tell what the system is going to prioritize at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, that calms me a bit :-) The other options for this install are Intel Mac minis or custom hackingtoshes, which on each their grounds seems to be nonoptimal choices. I will definately go for the 16GB version if it ends up beeing the M1 Mac minis.

One more question though, you write:

Would that suggest a viable option for now would be using an external SSD?

/ Lau

It’s always been recommended that you run your content from a drive separate from your internal drive. When I perform, I keep a few backup visuals on my internal drive in case of an emergency.

That being said, the latest gen of Macs seems to be getting around 4000+ MB/s read and write speeds, but keep in mind, the over all performance of your machine is dependent on how fast your system can access the local files. If you build a hackintosh it is very unlikely you’ll get anywhere close to those speeds.

Seagate used to make a 4TB Backup Plus Fast drive (USB 3.0) with 300+ MB/s read and write speeds. It was the best option for speed, space, and price, but they stopped making them and now the same drives are in Lacie Rugged Raid drives. Most external SSD drives should well out perform that, but they will come at a cost.

All that being said, if you’re only running a few media clips in a playlist I wouldn’t worry about any of it and just run it all locally. It’s when you’re looking for the max performance out of the machine it will benefit you to pull from an external drive most of the time.

Hey Lau,

I’ve been performing since years now with my Hackintosh rig (i7 6800k / 16GB RAM / 1080ti) and reading clips from my built-in NVME drive. Upto 2*4k outs and running several layers of large scale contents as 4k total or more, tens of shader based effects, realtime unity games syphoned in and ISF shaders at 4k, and I rarely suffered with any framedrop or performance below 50fps… I believe no Mac can perform like so if you dont have the highest end MacPro or so. Only thing is that soon High Sierra (Last available OS on which u can still install NVIDIA drivers for 10 serie GPUs) is not gonna support many applications. U can still upgrade to a good AMD gpu and then is another 5 years at least before theyll stop developing apps for Intel based chips. Until then… Hackintosh all the way! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Deltaprocess.
I myself rig a Hackingtosh that i built some years ago with:
GA-Z87X-UD5-TH
32 Ram
Core i7 I7-4790 8 MB
2x Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB AMD graphics
Blackmagic intensity pro, and intensity4k Capture cards
2x Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express Thunderbolt capture boxes
A firewire card …
A built in Raid5 using softraid on 6x3TB disks, plus a SSD for system disk

This one pushes a lot of often analog video in and out (got a LZX video synth system etc…)
It got 6 digital displays native, 4 of them up to 4K, and have been used sometimes with 2 displays for interface and 4 Datapath X4s for a total of 18 display outputs + the analog in/outs…

So im well aware of the gains of having a hackingtosh. :-)
BUT im also aware of the most times painfull process of building, and not least updating and upgrading a hackoingtosh. I have spent hundreds of hours to get it to run smooth after having to update for software compability etc…
So for this project, which are installing machines that can run by themself, with a simple midi controller input to choose between some presets for nightclubs, I would really prefer to not go the hackingtosh route, and take the simple solution that “just works” without countless hours of tweaking and testing stuff.

So if i can just buy two mac minis and be done with the hardware speculation, this would make the project a lot more simple…

/Lau