In and out points behaviour

Yes, there was a change somewhere / sometime ago which affected playback. HAP is a great codec as you can get instant playback and smooth scrubbing. Also the free AVF Batch Converter can help migrate your files to HAP.

1 Like

HI, I have the exact same problem, I’ve tried to convert the files in all the formats suggested but it hasn’t solved it for me. The playback also acts a bit randomly, sometimes starting from the new “in point” I specified and most of the times restarting from the beginning of the video. Is there by any chance another solution that came up lately? Thank you for your help.

1 Like

It sounds like your codec is off, can you share the video? All MP4 codecs must have a keyframe for every frame. Hap and Pro Res files should also work find just make sure the audio is encoded along with the video. Pass thru encoding of audio is not recommended (your basically saying, I want my video to only play smooth and audio can be a ? as to whether it plays in sync).

Hi, thak you for your answer. I don’t think it’s very useful to share one specific video, it happens in every format, even with the files I record with the Movie Recorder plugin or that I convert with AVF Converter. I tried to record/convert them with sound, same problem. I noticed now that sometimes double clicking instead of sigle clicking shows the first frame of the file and then it goes to the new “in point”. If you need any other information, please let me know.

To make sure it is not an isolated incident (on your computer only), you’ll have to share one or more of the files that are not working correctly for myself or someone else to test on our end. Maybe all of your files are not properly encoded. It’s impossible for me to say without a video to test. If you can share a screen capture of your VDMX setup and the issues you are having with video playback, that would give us an idea of what you’re dealing with.

Thanks

I’ve done some other tests with just a basic new project and I discovered that if I pass from a HAP clip to another HAP clip it works correctly. All the other formats don’t work correctly and also when passing from a clip in another format to a HAP one it messes with the behaviour of the HAP. So all the files have to be in HAP apparently. I think I can live with that :-) Here are some of the files I’m using and a screen capture, I hope it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npythftczkfll87/AAD_AwAE9TrAYPtrsV6I9f_pa?dl=0

Does this MP4 clip play correctly for you?

https://mega.nz/file/FcoGwC4T#fJsk9mfKxib-FG21tV2lxQmJm5NUkf-t_1oJq8Psmww

No, it doesn’t play correctly.

What are the specs of your computer / setup?

Hi, here are the specs of my Mac:

Strange, that should handle it. What version of VDMX are you running and are you using any other applications at the same time? Can you share your activity monitor Screenshot?

Also does your computer have and SSD on the main drive and are you making sure to run all your visuals off an external or separate drive from your main SSD drive? If you are using an external drive, please use BlackMagic disk speed test and post the results to that. Thanks.

I’m using Version b0.8.7.2.4. I moved the files to an external drive but it did not make any difference. I’ll send you a screen capture of the activity monitor and of the speed tests for the internal and external drives.

Looks like your external hard drive is USB 2.0 read/write speeds which is pretty poor performance, it may be decent for 1 video stream at a time. You’ll want a drive with double those speeds for mixing multiple HAP videos without performance issues. Can you share your memory tab and are you able to use the latest version of VDMX? By the looks of it your VDMX isn’t doing much if it is only showing 18% CPU usage. Can you please take screen shots of your activity monitor while running VDMX with multiple video streams playing?

Also please run EtreCheck and let me know what the results are. I want to rule out that it is not a hardware issue.

https://etrecheck.com/

Hey gang!
I have been digging into this subject some and here are some things I have found.

Long story short - i have been fighting same issues as the messages above.

The version I have been using for a long while is 8.7.0.4 - while trying to build a instant replay rig for a sports show I have coming up, I ran into all of the issues from above.

Sources have been existing files, files recorded using the Movie Recorder Plugin (what I need) and files converted via VVBatch Encoder.

Have tried all of the different codecs offered by VV Batch Encoder, but no difference.
Have tried simply setting i/o points in a fresh clean project, but same results

I HAVE had some success using 8.6.1.7 and a fresh project, old movie files and the new files I recorded in Recorder Plugin (h264) work good and respond to i/o points as expected.

IF I load my existing Instant Replay project into 8.6.1.7(that was built in 8.7.0.4) I get the same weird i/o point results.

Will try to rebuild my Instant Replay project tonight in 8.6.1.7 from scratch and will report back here.

SO - this is not a solution but a more of a post asking: “Does this give anybody any food for thought?”

Thanks gang!
jd

P.S. Yes, I dloaded the latest VDMX version, It will not launch on my machine, (maybe too decrepit) Mac Mini Late 2012 10.13.6

Hi @jdjd. I’d say your 10 year old machine is going to have more issues looping h264 content than HAP, ProRes, or Apple Intermediate Codec.

If you were running 10.12.6 on that machine, I’d recommend installing Apple Pro Video Codec and trying Apple Intermediate Codec.

I didn’t start using H264 clips until I had a 2015 MacBook Pro and I kept that one on 10.12.6 indefinitely without any problems.

Hi everyone, I’m here for a little update. I have a new macbook pro and I’ve installed the latest version of vdmx, but I still have the same problem. Actually even worse, a new project with all the files encoded in HAP shows that issue with in and out points, and the reproducion of a file the first time is played also sometimes jumps around the timeline quite randomly. I’m surprised to encounter the same issue on a newer machine with the latest MacOs. Maybe I have something installed that may cause some conflicts with VDMX? Is it worth it to try to install an older version of the software? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @DanieleG,

Unfortunately it’s still an issue. If you use an older version of VDMX is should go away, but you might run into other types of bugs from older builds.

A few things are in the works, hopefully this one gets fixed with the next update.

1 Like

I’ve been noticing the same problem, and have stopped using multiple ‘vdmx copies’ of the 1 clip because of this unreliability…

Today it happened in a class, where a student asked -
“What am i doing wrong? I’ve got this clip playing from beginning here, and then this is the same clip and it should start from halfway through the video, but it plays from the start… am I doing something wrong with the in point?”

“No - that’d be a bug.”

1 Like

:sweat_smile: @jeanpoole at least you were there to tell them!

1 Like

“A few things are in the works, hopefully this one gets fixed with the next update.”

Any updates on this bug?
I always loved the capacity to say copy a video a few times in the media bin, and set different in-points for each video, rather than rendering separate clips… but I keep getting a default behaviour of - in-points are indeed recognised, visible on the playback timeline, but the clip actually starts from the beginning…

Have gone back to rendering out separate clips… but would be great if this was fixed…
Danke!

1 Like