Is it possible to get Cue List "Cue Time" as a data source?

The Cue List plugin has options to display various time offsets in the Time Display.

Is it possible to get these as data sources? Specifically, I’d like to use “Cue Time” as an option to sync media playback to a Cue List time signature. (eg: if I scrub the time-slider in a cue list the media bin playback will scrub to the same timestamp).

Thanks!!

It is not currently provided, but maybe in the future.

The Timecode plugin offers functionality like this, and it can be used to drive a Cue List.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think this feature would be helpful to many people coming from a Resolume driven workflow; specifically many live productions need to do SMPTE timecode driven video- and I can’t currently think of any way to archive this in VDMX (without making massively long video files).

In my case, each song has a lyric video that is synced to loops being run in Ableton. The most common way to do this is to create LTC audio files (roughly 10mins in length) for each song- so that the video control software can trigger each video file and keep sync if the song is reflowed live in Ableton. I don’t think this is currently possible in VDMX without creating ridiculously long video files for each song (imagine needing to do a 24-hour video file, just to keep up with LTC spanning that range!).

Here’s a quick video explaining this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDir5Ij_xpA&feature=youtu.be&t=2018

Let me know if this makes sense…

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m also need this. Waiting. Thanks.

1 Like

We are still waiting. Could you please do this in the next update?

1 Like

Hey!

Sorry this didn’t make the cut for the last update, will try to get it in for the next release ;)

OK. Thank you very much !!!

Oh hey, this is in the 8.7.2.0 build we just posted, please give it a try and send us an email if you have any issues!

Thank you. I will try. Please explain difference between time and normalized time.

Normalized time is ranged from 0.0 to 1.0 (ie this is the percentage of the way through it is)
Time is ranged from 0.0 to the number of seconds of the last cue

In most cases it is useful to have the normalized version if you want to do a quick sync for a slider, but there are cases where you want to work with the time in seconds.

Perhaps we should rename the ‘time’ to ‘time in seconds’ to help clarify this point?

Could you please upload sample project with using this data source.

Hi !
Could anybody help me !!!
I can not start my videos using timecode not from the beginning.
I want scrub the time-slider in a cue list the media bin playback will scrub to the same timestamp
Please explain me how can I use this data source in cue list plugin.
May be anybody make simple sample project to show me how can I do this
Thanks to all

Hello all!

Still waiting on an added feature for this.
The update that added “Cue List > Control > Normalized Time” as a Data Source was not helpful to the goal of synchronizing clips with SMPTE.

This update is important because the DJ will be mixing, cueing, chopping, and warping the audio clips. If you have a music video or a lyric video, the layer playhead needs to be in sync with the DJ’s playhead, per each cue.

One work-around would be to render all your videos with an offset for the SMPTE audio clip, but that’s gonna be tedious if you’ve got hours of video.

Another work around would be to render all your video as one huge clip sync’d up with your SMPTE audio clip.

This is where having Cue Time as a Data Source would be helpful.

The desired feature is “Cue List > Time Display” to be listed in the Data Source context window.

This screenshot (Figure 1) shows the Time Display data inside a Cue List window:

Figure 1

This screenshot (Figure 2) shows the Time Display’s source option, which in this case, is Cue Time:

Figure 2

This screenshot (Figure 3) illustrates where “Time Display” would be listed in the Data Source context window for the Layer 1 Src Movie Time Slider (aka Playhead):

Figure 3

Is there a way we can turn the Cue List’s Time Display into a Data Source? I’m using Version b0.8.7.2.2

Thank you for your help!

Still waiting. Really need this feature. Only one method is making one large video from all files.

Hi dolphinuppercut,
I think I’m beginning to understand this a little better. You’d like LTC or MTC to trigger clips in the cue, but keep the clips in sync, so if you change the playhead position during a performance or song, it will “snap back” to the correct time in the video?

Thanks

Hey ProjectileObjects!

Yes, that’s the general idea!
Got any ideas?

Have a great day!

I may have one way; I’ll see if I can figure out another.

Similar to this video tutorial: https://vdmx.vidvox.net/tutorials/syncing-the-playhead-of-multiple-movies-in-vdmx

You can create an extra Layer that triggers at the same time as your main layer. Turn off the opacity and volume for Layer 2 and sync Layer 1’s play head to Layer 2.

Now if you adjust layer one, it will “snap back” to layer 2.

Note: I was using Midi Time code (MTC) and used QLab to generate it. (I don’t have Ableton installed). I used VDMX’s timecode plugin to bring in the outside MTC, and then I could sync the Cue List to that timecode.

You may have to adjust a few other things, but let me know if that helps.

Another thing to note: If you are planning ahead, you could render out blank videos or audio files of the same duration and use them as proxies for your timecode sync.

(In this photo example I used VDMX’s built in Timecode generator.

Maybe I’m missing something (just skimmed this thread) but wouldn’t the Timecode plug in work for your purpose?

-m