Max Image Size

Is there a limit to the maximum image size in vdmx?
I am working with 8k content and tried to rise the limit at Preferences/Files but vdmx is putting the value back at 4192 pixels. Is that a limit?

Works fine for me.

What GPU are you using?

I’m on Mac laptop with Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB.

I have no problem setting my render size to 8k but working with 8k image files.
Attached is the setting I’m talking about. If I set the value higher than 4192 pixels, it goes back to 4192 when I restart vdmx.

So you are working with 8k photos, but 4k video? What is your actual output resolution? If it’s 4k, then I would make your photos 4k instead of taking your system to downscale, or if it really is 8k, then you can set your canvas to the 8k resolution and choose canvas instead of custom for the full resolution of your images.

My output resolution is 4k. I want to work with 8k photos, zoom in and travel in it.
Altho I can not make vdmx to work with 8k resolution image. It scales it down to the 4192p limit it seems.

The first thing you need to do is optimise your images for screen resolution not print. Screen images should be 72dpi. Then have a think about your final output.

Just to confirm the current version of VDMX will default image layers to 4192x4192 regardless of what you enter in the prefrences Max Image Size (custom) field. I suspect this is hard coded and not a bug.

Re. your process I often work with large image layers and this works fine with HD 1080 output and 4k image layers. But things really start to break when you load 8k images into a project.

The recommendation is that you record large image zooms as video clips at your VDMX projects output resolution (4k in your case). Or if working with photogrammetry (which it looks like you might be) render zoom animations in Blender again at your VDMX projects output resolution. Then encode the video as HAP for smooth playback in VDMX. You will get the same effect but without the overhead of trying to work with large image files which VDMX doesn’t like.

One last thought, the 4192x4192 image size feels like a practical limit for most users. Have a think about what VDMX is trying to do with your 8k images in real time. Thats a lot of data to move around and at the same time trying to stream out 60fps.

3 Likes

Thank you for suggestions, all make sense.

Rendering animations is a very practical solution but my concern is to do these movements live. I will be performing a live visual show with improvised music and want to decide my zoom and move actions based on the music on the fly. That’s why I need vdmx to be able to handle an 8k image.

As 8k resolution is becoming more popular lately, I wonder if vdmx could be coded for this.

1 Like

If you render the zoom as a video you can easily pause the video at whatever zoom position you like and also change the zoom speed using the Rate slider. This will solve your large file issue and still give you the flexibility you need… and if you need different XYZ rotations you can render these as video files with a bit of planning.

Another approach you can try is to use “Windows in other Applications” Say your object was a Blender project you can grab the output in realtime and use that as a layer in VDMX5. Eevee should be good enough for live visuals.

1 Like

Another solution is a simple quartz composer patch. I made a simple one that retains the 8k image size and allows you to zoom in and out and move around the x and y space.

1 Like

Yes, I was going to suggest that as well. Instead of Quartz look at Vuo.org (Quartz is depreciated).

Whilst depreciated it generally still working as long as that patch doesn’t make use of old 32bit plugins.
Im still regularly using Quartz and it runs fine even up to and beyond 4k resolutions.

3 Likes

Blender is worth watching as they have a focus on animation and mini apps using the Blender engine. Eevee is a pretty awesome realtime engine and someone comes up with a Syphon and or NDI pipeline that would be really useful. Blender also supports Apple Silicone which is a big leap forward for Mac users and a reason to switch up from Intel when you can.

2 Likes

It seems like you’re encountering a bit of a roadblock with VDMX’s maximum image size. Despite your attempts to adjust the limit in Preferences/Files, it keeps bouncing back to 4192 pixels. This limitation could be hardcoded into the software to ensure optimal performance.

@JatinPanda Is this a question, or are you a bot restating what is mentioned in this (old) thread?

1 Like

I’m not a bot, lol

Just wanted to say that to navigate around this hurdle, you might want to consider breaking down your 8k content into smaller segments. Alternatively, optimizing your images could alleviate some of the strain on VDMX. Using jpg compress tools can help strike a balance between maintaining quality and reducing file sizes, which might improve performance.

Hi! The problem was solved with the last beta release. See the thread here please: JPEG resolution

Okay, but that was not clear. As @ali-d mentioned. The Max Image size limit was removed over 1 year ago. Please use the latest version of VDMX and take not of when posts were created.