Buy online

Hi! Is the version that’s available to buy online the latest? Could just see on option. And is that the best for a MacBook Pro M1, 2020 with 8 GB. Maybe should upgrade my computer too because of not so much 8 GB. What do you think about that? Maybe not right now but want it to be able to switch computer and still have a good vdmx running on it. Intending to buy.

/Annika

This is the latest version, you can try before you buy: VDMX Beta 9.9.2.0 now ready for testing! (M1/Intel) OSX 10.15+ - #5 by 2bitpunk

And yes, 8GB is not a lot of memory, but you can still use VDMX for some things.

So, dear Annika, you are in very good hands with VIDVOX when it comes to visuals and video art (installations). In the visuals area for clubs, events and stages in general (theaters etc.), VDMX5 is definitely number 2 on the world market and has been there for a very long time. Resolume Arena is number 1 in terms of visuals in conjunction with Resolume Wire and is also highly recommended for video art in the broader sense, although VDMX5 is perhaps a bit better for video art.
But above all, you should think again about Mac or Windows. As a VJ from the very beginning (2001), I still worked on Mac’s back then, but I turned my away from Apple more than 15 years ago because of their outrageous pricing policy, tax behavior and their general arrogance and haughtiness and now I only use Linux and Windows machines, which are around 50% cheaper by pure PC products. Apple also locks you in on their island and the longer you stay there, the more difficult or costly it will be to switch to more open platforms like Linux or even Windows. For Windows, I can highly recommend Tool3 or SMUDE Community, for example, they are completly free of charche and based on a much more modern codebasis than VDMX5 or Arena (Resolume).
I think Tool3 will be particularly popular in the video art sector and the rest of realtimevideobranch. There is also a lot of good software in the real-time video sector under Windows at reasonable prices or even fuly free, unlike Mac/Apple!
Sell your MacBook and use it to pay for a tower PC with a 3080 RTX and at least I7 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD, then the money should just about be enough for Arena next Thanksgiving (50% discount) and until then you can work your way into Tool3.

Some very clever people also use TutchDesigner and create their own visual program there according to their taste and needs, but that is extremely time-consuming and intensive.

Finally, I can highly recommend that you go to VJun.io under Software etc. to get an overview of the possibilities and programs in the real-time video area. In my opinion, VJun.io is the most popular and above all completely independent website on the subject and you can also post questions etc. there.

So dear Annika with just the best wishes & greetings by bennoH.:hamster::person_raising_hand: from Switzerland/Europe

German O-Text:
Also liebe Annika, bei VIDVOX bist Du sehr gut aufgehoben, was Visuals und Videokunst (Installationen) anbelangt. Im Visualsbereich für Clubs, Events und allgemein Bühnen (Theater etc.) ist VDMX5 sicher die Nummer 2 auf dem Weltmarkt und sehr sehr lange immer dort dabei. Resolume Arena die Nr. 1 in sachen Visuals in Verbindung mit Resolume Wire auch sehr empfehlenswert für Videokunst im erweiterten Sinn wobei für Videokunst VDMX5 vieleicht noch eine Spur besser ist. Aber vor allem solltest Du Dir über Mac oder Windows nochmals einige Gedanken machen. Ich als VJ der ersten Stunden (2001) habe damals noch auf Mac’s gearbeitet, Apple aber bezüglich Ihrer unverschämten Preispolitik dem Steuerverhalten und ihrer ganz allgemeinen Überheblichkeit und Aroganz vor mehr als 15 Jahren den Rücken zugewand und nutze nur noch Linux und Windowsmachinen, also rund 50% günstigere PC Ware. Apple schliesst Dich auch auf Ihrer Insel ein und um so länger Du dabei bleibst um so schwiriger oder verlustreicher wird ein Wechsel zu den offeneren Platformen wie Linux oder sogar eben Windows. Unter Windows könnte ich Dir z.B. Tool3 oder SMUDE-Community sehr empfehlen, diese sind Kostenlos und auf viel moderenerer Basis als VDMX5 oder Arena (Resolume). Vor allem denke ich wird sich Tool3 sehr durchsetzen im Videokunstbereich. Es giebt auch ansonsten viele gute Software im Realtimvideobereich unter Windows zu günstigen Preisen bis kostenlos im Gegensatz zu Mac/Apple! Verkauf dein MacBook und bezahl damit einen Tower PC mit einer 3080.- RTX und min. I7 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD dan sollte dass Geld gerade noch für Arena am kommenden Thanksgiving (50% Rabat) reichen und bis dahin arbeitest Du Dich in Tool3 ein. Einige sehr ausgefuchste nutzen auch TutchDesigner und erstellen sich dort Ihr eigenes Visualsprogramm nach ihrem Geschmack und Bedürfniss, dass ist aber extrem aufwändig und intensiv. Ich kann Dir abschliessend sehr raten Dir auf VJun.io unter Software etc. einmal einen Überblick über Möglichkeiten und Programme im Realtimevideobereich zu verschaffen. VJun.io ist meiner Meinung nach die angesagteste und vor allem kommplett unabhängige Website zum Fachthema und Du kannst auch dort Fragen posten etc… Also liebe Annika, mit nur den beste Wünschen und Grüssen bennoH.:hamster::person_raising_hand: aus der Schweiz/Europa

My advice is to put some hours into using the VDMX demo and see if it fits your way of thinking and workflow. Don’t worry about not being able to save projects, having to build a new one each time you open the demo app will help you get more fluid with VDMX. One tip: on machines with limited memory use a MIDI controller to turn on/off layers and FX if things get sluggish or the output freezes… VDMX will often recover.

1 Like