Apple silicon ARM Macs

Hey everyone! I was a member of the old forums but haven’t been around in a while. Just want to get a developer’s point of view on Apple’s upcoming CPU transition. I’m trying to decide if I should get the 16" MBP with 5600m GPU to last through the transition, or wait and see what apple has in store. My question is, when do you you expect VDMX to run well on the new architecture? My initial thoughts is that we should wait to upgrade to ARM Macs for a couple years still… But I don’t want to spend $3500 on a laptop that will depreciate in value quickly after ARM, or not be supported in the long term.

0 Likes

Oh, im pretty curious of this too… My last mac just went into ashes so i guess i can’t wait for the new ARM ones anyway. I could make you a report if you want when i get it (it should be in around a month).

otherwise - had anyone already worked on VDMX with the 5600M gpu?

0 Likes

We got one of the ‘Transition Kit’ Mac Minis, and we are working on updating VDMX to run natively on both Intel and ARM machines as a universal binary. We’ll give some further updates with an expected ETA for this release once we get deeper into it.

Apple has said that the existing Intel machines will be supported at least for the next few years, and there are even some new releases with those chipsets still in the pipeline, so I think it is a safe bet to buy a new Mac now.

Beyond that, if you want my pure speculation, my guess is that Apple will start by replacing the lower power machines such as the Mini and the Macbook Air in their lineup like they did back in the PPC -> Intel switch. Another thought is that these last generations of Intel machines may have very high resell values down the road (if you keep them in good condition!) as there will eventually be a lot of demand for this hardware to run software that doesn’t make the jump to ARM.

5 Likes

Thanks! You thoughts are about in line with my thoughts. Thanks for your reply. Been loving VDMX since 2009-ish by the way. Thank you so much for all you’ve done!

2 Likes

Very curious about how the apple silicon ‘transition kit’ is performing compared to normal GPU’s…

Intel emmulation benchmarks just can’t be considered, i am wondering about FPS

1 Like