What is this 'smearing' artifact called?

Hello. When moving a video around, I sometimes get a sort of light-tunnel smearing effect/glitch when it reaches part of the canvas. I’m sure this is common since I’ve run into it a lot but I don’t know what it’s called. If I knew what to call it, I could look up best practices on how to avoid it.
Here’s a video where you can see it happening on the right and bottom as the shape gets near the edge.

0 Likes

Your visuals are essentially going out of the frame, and instead of showing a black edge it is spreading the image (smear), you can recreate this look with the Clamp FX.

People also do this in after effects with the Slitscan plugin: https://aescripts.com/slitscan/

0 Likes

I would have a play with Super Smear and Sorting Smear.

0 Likes

You could also try Vuo Streak Image (sample FX attached).

To install:

1. Open VDMX assets folder: ~/Library/Application Support/VDMX
  2. Create a new folder named VuoFX
  3. Copy the StreakImage.vuo FX into VuoFX folder
  4. Open VDMX
  5. Load the StreakImage FX located within the Vuo list

Vuo-Streak-Image.zip (82.9 KB)

0 Likes

Thanks, folks. I’m trying to avoid the streak effect but I have used it on-purpose before. I use Layer Position to move videos around the canvas often in layers that use other layers as sources. This seems to cause the out-of-frame smear, probably because of the nested layers. I’m sure I’ll sort out some kind of work around but I appreciate at least knowing what to call it. Thanks.

0 Likes