Vuo FX issue

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017
Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
macOS Ventura 13.6.4
VDMX5 b0.8.8.0.9
Vuo 2.4.4

Anyone know the common cause for a Vuo FX to display the gradient shown in the image. The Vuo FX runs smoothly for roughly 4 mins before glitching. Quitting VDMX and reopening the project fixes the issue. The issue is repeatable.

I don’t have THAT exact issue, but if my memory is right, with VDMX 8.8.0.9 I had other issues with Vuo FX made in Vuo 2.4.4 (some loaded, but some FX just not loading or displaying black), and I always simply assumed that was because that version of VDMX was using an older Vuo framework. I had to wait until 9.9.2.0 before stuff worked again.

In case you haven’t tried this, you could try the latest VDMX 9.9.2.0, as that has the Vuo 2.4.4 framework? This might not solve your specific problem but its a possible issue and an easy test?

(And you might also be aware of this trick that could also help you interim: I’ve found that if I have a problem with a Vuo FX, it sometimes works (better) to export it as a FFGL plugin. Sometimes not though. This was my workaround for some version issues.)

1 Like

Same in 9.9.2.0 but as I’m using my MacBook and macOS 13 officially I should be using 8.8.0.9. Good tip for exporting to FFGL tho as this looks like it fixed the issue. FFGL must have better memory management.

Need to stress test the FFGL version but its been running for 30 mins without glitching :)

I have a cut down version of the Vuo FX with a single 3D object with image shader which will run all day. The full version has a second object and image shader and this is the one that glitches. So, as you say it looks like a memory issue. Maybe something for the VDMX devs to look at for Vuo.

1 Like

Yep, exporting as FFGL plugin fixed it. I have multiple instances running feeding into each other and no glitching… just a very chaotic screen. FFGL also usable in other apps so all good :)

1 Like

@2bitpunk Do you get multiple instances of one FFGL showing up in activity monitor? Every time I “load” a Vuo FFGL into VDMX it adds another instance which seems messy and somehow wrong - esp. if I have eg. 20 different FFGLs that I’m loading/unloading throughout a show.

While the CPU currently shows 0 in the attached screenshot, it was around 9 or 10% per instance when the the file was loading and running. These instances stay there even after closing down VDMX etc. Is this expected?

(I don’t use FFGL usually but looking at it as a workaround for Vuo files that crash VDMX at the moment)

Hi @Joelle

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017 (Intel)
Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
macOS Ventura 13.6.4
VDMX5 b0.8.8.0.9
Vuo 2.4.4

Yes, I can confirm multiple Vuo FFGL plugins NOT included in the VDMX project are automatically running when VDMX opens.

I’m just looking at your Vuo comp and in activity monitor I can see that VDMX is opening Vuo FFGL comps which are not being used in the VDMX project? Activity monitor shows x2 instances for each Vuo FFGL plugin held in ~/Library/Graphics/FreeFrame\ Plug-Ins.

I can test this on an Apple Studio M1 and Mac mini M2 tomorrow.

Michael.