Version number in Finder

Can we add the version number to the apps Finder info. I generally keep a couple of versions of VDMX on my machines with older builds having the version number as a prefix. But as we get regular updates and some of us have multiple machines it would be useful to have easy access to the version info.

I always just add it myself using get info.

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 12.18.34 PM

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I do but I leave the current one as is. It would still be nice to see the version in the finder info but not particularly important :)

I can ask, but I’m guessing the reason it is called VDMX5.app by default is so that VDMX will replace the current installation with a newer one (when updated). Additionally, if there are other applications that trigger or launch VDMX5.app then it would make sense for the name structure to be consistent.

I’ll add this as a feature request since I know of other applications (such as MadMapper) that put the build number after the name. For the time being. I do this manually.

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.03.52 PM
Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.03.36 PM

Sorry crossed lines. Yes, I think we all do the same with apps that change often. I always leave the current version of VDMX without a version suffix to retain alias links. What I mean is the app info shown in the finder as illustrated in the image…

1 Like

Maybe that’s something to do with newer OS as when i use get info i see the version number.

1 Like

I suppose @2bitpunk is using column mode in the Finder, and there the version number is not showing for me neither. For me, the Finder Info inspector (left) shows the version number, but the same Info panel displayed in Finder column mode (right) does NOT show the version number…

Macbook Pro M3 Max, macOS Sonoma 14.1.1

1 Like

I know odd, you would have thought it was a shared field for both views. I guess David will have the answer?