VDMX macOS X 12 Monterey Update Guide

Hello all, we are still testing Mac OS Monterey which will be released on October 25, 2021 and will come pre-installed on the latest generation of 14" and 16" Macbook Pros (M1 Pro and M1 Max).

We currently do not recommend that you upgrade until we’ve done more testing, worked through bug reports, etc. If you do plan on installing the latest version, please consider making backups or dual boots of your current operating system before proceeding. The new Mac OS tend to have bugs themselves, so until we get to spend more time with it ourselves, we cannot promise that it runs perfectly with VDMX.

We did some testing and it seems to run fine, but time will tell if there are any changes we need to make on our end for full compatibility.

Update Oct 27, 2021

OSX Monterey has a new privacy indicator that displays on your secton monitor when VDMX (or any application) is actively using your microphone or camera.

09%20PM

There is not much that can be done at the moment until Apple gives us an ability to hide this feature (hopefully in a new update).

Another note about privacy, If you are trying to automatically relink media across drives or on your SSD, you may have give VDMX full disk access or permissions to view all files and folders.

If your old media is using Apple Intermediate Codec or any older codecs that are still compatable with OSX, you’ll want to install the Apple Pro Video Formats codec pack: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2050?locale=en_US

M1 Max Update.

The M1 Max seems to be able to handle 107 simeltaeous layers of 4K video playing back at the same time on the internal SSD. (With no FX applied, so not a “real world test” but interesting none-the-less).

5 Likes

Can the vdmx team indicate whether quartzcomposer framework is still included in monterrey for backwards compatibility, or is it not present? Thought you all might know.

1 Like

I can confirm that a large number of the .qtz plugins for VDMX work on OSX 12. As for custom QuartzComposer patches, I cannot say, but if you want me to test something, just attach it to your next forum post and I’ll see if I can get it up and running.

1 Like

Cool, I appreciate that answer a ton!

I may take you up on the testing, not sure. But just knowing the frameworks are still there is the big thing.

1 Like

Hi Folks, just jumping in here to ask if there has been any decent work arounds or developments for the orange dot for audio input ? I have been spending the last months working on shows that use a pixel map onto a non full screen LED wall, so has been easy to avoid using the top right of the display output, but am now moving onto more traditional full screen shows and want to find a work around urgently.

I’d like to use my current M1 Max machine, so restoring Big Sur won’t be an option on that one

I have tried "yellow dot’ app and a couple of other scripts but to no positive results, I also don’t want to make my machine super vulnerable my turning off all the security features either so some guidance would be great please

Thinking I might try and just add a solid orange frame to all my shows… try making people think its a new look :)

Dan

update, have successfully installed this application

and it seems to remove the orange dot from the external display connected to my MBP, when using audio analysis in VDMX there is no dot, but opening QuickTime and starting an Audio recording, the dot does re-appear back on the integrated display, but not on external regardless of whether VDMX is full screen or minimised.

System: MBP M1 Max, macOS 12.4

Hope that helps some other folks !

D

3 Likes

As it requires turning off FileVault (full disk encryption), I’m hesitant to install this. But, the orange dot has to go!

@seejordan Tell that to Apple!

1 Like