VDMX Beta 8.7.2.7 now ready for testing!

I ran the beta on a live stream last week. I know, don’t use beta software for live gigs. :slight_smile: This is my own gig so I’m not fussed and it’s a good stress test.

I ran into issues which, when I get a chance, I’ll try recreate. It seems there is a memory leak in the current beta.

I’m on a MacBook Pro 16inch Core i9 2.3GHz with 16GB for RAM and an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB GPU. Along with VDMX I was running OBS (streaming to Mixcloud), a web browser and Electron Capture (a stripped down Chrome browser that’s used for OBS.ninja / VDO.ninja - I used this to pull live video from a remote DJ).

Within a 10min of streaming things started lagging and becoming unresponsive. Eventually my Mac threw up and alert saying I was out of memory and that I needed to quit running apps to free up memory. It all pretty much locked up before I even got a chance. At the time is was showing VDMX using around 500mb for RAM and similar amount of OBS.

So I forced a reboot and restarted the stream. This time without Electron Capture. Again the same result. As I was anticipating it this time I simple force quitted VDMX and left the stream running. Rolled back to the earlier version of VDMX (beta 8.7.2.4) and continued. Everything was fine going forward.

So the only thing that had changed we VDMX.

I’ll get a chance over the weekend to run another test. How do I capture a log that might be of use to the devs?

With my crashes my audio was coming in via a Blackmagic Web Presenter and then fed into OBS. I was also using the same audio for analysis in VDMX.

I don’t use Loopback but I do have Blackhole (a virtual audio cable) installed tho is was not being used in this setup.

The same setup works fine with beta 8.7.2.4.

Best way to check your memory usage is by opening up Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder.
Select the memory tab. And also under one of the menus select View All Processes - Hiarchley.

That will show you what’s being used.

Also have a look at the Console app.
It may have “reports” of the issue and may point to the culprit.

And definitely stay with 724. 727 is still bit buggy.

Yup… that’s how I know both apps were reporting around 500MB.