VDMX 1.0.13 & Vuo

Hi all,
apologies if this has already been dealt with elsewhere (I had a quick search but didn’t find a solution) - when triggering a new Vuo composition (image generator) in the media bin, the complete VDMX playback pauses briefly (including all other layers playing conventional HAP video files) for something like 10-15 frames.

This was an issue for me last year, and I’ve stopped using Vuo in VDMX as the playback stop is a dealbreaker. I’ve just updated everything (VDMX 1.0.13 & Vuo 2.4.5) and it’s still happening (with VDMX setting Run Vuo as Separate Process checked and unchecked). I’ve tried really basic duo comps (standard rectangle plus RGB colour) but still happens here.

Does anyone else have experience with this - and any recommendations for workarounds (diff versions of Vuo & VDMX which work better with each other)? An older version of Vuo?
I’m currently running Sonoma 14.5 and have tested with VMDX 1.0.1 and 1.0.13 as well as Vuo 2.4.2 / 2.4.4 / 2.4.5.

Cheers Matthew

Hi Matthew,

It depends on the speed of your computer and the requirements of your Vuo composition. Essentially, when you trigger a Vuo comp, it launches an instance of Vuo in the background. Depending on the speed performance of your machine, this can cause a delay.

Perhaps you could share the Vuo comp with everyone here so we can all test it on our end too?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi5​:person_raising_hand: “mattsanc” I welcom U too, great to have U onboard!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes "ProjectileObjects says exactly the right thing, the power of your graphics card (GPU) will be the main factor. Hap is a very demanding video codec for the GPU and it also puts a bit more strain on the CPU than usual, but that’s probably not causing your problem. To be honest, I haven’t worked on a Mac for over 15 years (too expensive / too arrogant) and I’m a Toll3 and Resolume Arena user, although there’s nothing wrong with VDMX5, VIDVOX is also fully committed to the matter but it’s not yet available on PCs or Linux so I use something else. But the problem is the same with Resolume Arena, you look for ways to get to real 4K and video codecs that don’t offer an extended color space like HDR+ never produce real UHD, there’s a lot of cheating in the descriptions of such real-time video applications. However, if you use a video codec such as Hap or ProRes, the amount of data to be processed increases because the enlarged color space, i.e. a much wider and more detailed grayscale, can produce several million (miliards?) additional colors and the price for this is that not as many effects and video sources can be used in the real-time video area like under 1080 (K1). This is also the reason why I have not yet bought some 4K projectors and keep everything at 1K, because everything works great with today’s technology (and to my Optoma laserprojectors are payable ocoligical and get a great pictur by 5700lumen this to have under 4K is 3x more expensiv), especially the RTX graphics cards in the desktop area from 3080 upwards. With a desktop RTX 4090 you can slowly and carefully think about 4K, but as described it is still limited. In the short term, switching the source codes of the programs from OpenGL to Vulkan could also bring about improvement, but in the long term quantum computers will be necessary for real 4K or 8 & 12K. The Vulkan changes are already underway everywhere, such as with Resolume and VIDVOX, and VIDVOX may also use metal or use it even more, which will have the same effect. Ultimately, new paths by shading (shaderconcepts and versions) must be taken with the damage, which has already been initiated with Vulkan and Metal we can go with SPIR-V, a platform-independent new generation of shading will also support the performance of the devices well up. Everything always takes time and since the competition in this area is also constantly growing, your customer loyalty is all the more important, because these source code adjustments are extremely labor-intensive and everything has to be paid for or will pay for itself in the foreseeable future.

So stay loyal to VIDVOX and everything will be fine and even better.
With just the best wishes & greetings from Switzerland by bennoH.:panda_face: + :hamster:&:hamster: