V002 Quartz Composer effects not working

Hi, I am on a MacBook Pro M2 running MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, on the latest VDMX version 8.8.0.9.

None of the v002 effects with a .qtz extension work. They all produce a black screen. I thought it was a QC issue but other QC sources and effects work. The problem seems to specifically be the v002 QC-based effects.

Specifically, I’m trying to get the Rutt Etra effect working, but even simple v002 effects like Blur are not working.

Is there anything that can be done to pull down a copy of the v002 repo from Github and make it work with the latest version of Quartz Composer? https://github.com/v002

Thanks,
Graham

Hi Graham,

Usually when you try to run that effect on an Apple Silicon mac running VDMX natively, it will prompt with a message that says you must run the Application under Rosetta 2.

If you want to use those FX, you’ll need to run VDMX under Rosetta 2.

Just to add, if you’re not sure how to open VDMX under Rosetta:

1. Quit VDMX
  2. Find VDMX in the Applications folder and Get Info (Cmnd+i)
  3. Check the box that says “Open in Rosetta”
  4. Launch VDMX
    You might find that some of the effects still don’t work but, in my experience, most of them do.
1 Like

Thanks @ellingson

It’s also worth noting that newer Macs and Sonoma seem to be having issues with QC FX, so it is best to disable them entirely. More details here: VDMX MacOS X 14 Sonoma Update Guide (Updated 10.30.23)