Upcoming awards show.. .advice for project setup

Hi all,

I’m trying to decide on the best way to approach my latest project. Hoping you can give me some suggestions.

I have 10 LED screens, spread across 3 outputs.
I have to create:
Look 1: 10 individual clips (1 per LED screen)
Look 2: 10 individual clips (1 per LED screen)
Look 3: 1 clip spread across all screens.

I need to trigger Look 1, so all 10 layers are cue’d up and ready to go. When I fade them up (all together) they all start to play at once, in sync.

While this is playing, I need to trigger Look 2 (in preview), all cue’d up and ready to go. When I fade these up, they all start to play at once (in sync), over the top of Look 1.
I will then need to stop Look 1.

While this is playing, I need to trigger Look 3 (in preview). when I fade this up, it goes over the top of Look 3.
I will then need to stop Look 2.

This will be the basis for lots more looks I’ll need to create.

It’s an awards night, and each look will be setup for each segment of the awards.

My 1st thought is to create Layers 1-10 in group 1, Layer 11-20 in group 2, layers 21-30 in group 3, etc…
This would give me the single group fader far all 10 clips in group 1, etc…

Would i then use a group of 10 cues (in the cue list) to assign clips 1-10 to layers 1-10??

I’m sure this is quite a common setup for awards shows.

Anyone have any insights or suggestions of how to approach this?

thanks very much in advance.

kind regards,

My first thought would be / what I would try: Combine all 10 videos into one video and then split them up in VDMX. That way you only need 1 layer and you can easily mix them. When I tried something similar (a few years back) there wasn’t really a way to sync videos/layers (this is a feature only dedicated media servers have) - are you playing back audio as well or are you getting a timecode?

You would need a really good computer I guess…

i guess i could do that. i’m hoping to keep as much flexibility as possible so i can swap out individual clips last minute.
maybe i could do this method, and then overlay others if i need to. that could possibly give me best of both words.

thanks for your time.
cheers.