Touchscreen with VDMX

Hi All,

Longtime user of VDMX here. Sorry if this is old news, but I couldn’t see any discussions of this on the forum.

Has anyone been using a touchscreen with VDMX directly? Its been a long time wish of mine to just use the interface directly, rather then having to design a separate interface. Just tried it with my ipad using mirror mode but no luck. It appears aftermarket touchscreens have come down in price enough to make them a consideration for a live performance setup.

Thoughts?

Touchscreens with Mac are limited overall. You can find some USB C touchscreens that will work, but multitouch doesn’t usually work, so your finger acts more like a single click mouse cursor.

You can still use it, or something like TouchOSC to drive a show.

Touch screen on Mac sucks. You have to purchase separate hid drivers for the monitor you bought. If you want real full capacitive 10-point touch. Otherwise, you have a screen that acts as a mouse when you touch it. If you have a PC, laptop or possibly Linux, although I don’t know, you can use something like osc pilot to make osc interfaces, then run the midi on the network to control vdmx or whatever your heart desires. But it’s a shoddy solution when it’s Apple being obstinate that keeps us from having proper touch screen HID drivers in the operating system.

Also, that shoddy solution works great for me. Since I always have a Windows machine, I’m just being pissed;I bought two touch screens off new way and as soon as I hooked them up to the Mac not getting multi-touch function. I was hoping to do stuff in reason and Ableton like particularly daw stuff, piano stuff on the Mac cuz that’s my more audio machine. Worst thing is if I bought an iPad and an iPhone already have an M2 Mac mini, I still wouldn’t have access to the kind of capabilities the software I own and the devices I would have should have.

Sorry if this reads like trash I have to use text-to-speech often and editing it is difficult at these times

1 Like