Texts in VDMX6 Plus?

Hi,

In today’s gig, I was asked to put on some basic text on screen for audiences to see, in a surprise I realised that both built in text sources are not working at all or I just have no idea on how to use them? I’m sure in VDMX5, when a media bin executes a text source to a layer, in the layer source we could see some text configuration options. Nothing showed up in VDMX6 Plus, and when viewing them in “files” under workspace inspector, I could see those options, but I could not edit any of them. Just wondering if this is a bug, or if texts have changed completely in VDMX6 in how they work?

P.S: I ended up creating a text image in photoshop and playing that through a layer to show the text I want. However this seem quite inefficient in just outputting a few simple words. Was wondering if we could get this to work within VDMX6 Plus somehow.

It seems to be working for me. A few questions:

1. What version of OSX are you running?
  2. What Apple Hardware are you using?
  3. If it’s a permissions / privacy thing, does VDMX have full disk access and/or files and folders (could be that your systems restrictions are not allowing VDMX to access your fonts.
  4. Are you running VDMX natively or under Rosetta?

I am running Mac OSX Sonoma 14.6.1 on Macbook Pro M1 Max. Full disk access, accessibility etc. are all enabled. VDMX is running natively.

This is what my layer looks like with the “Lorem Ipsum” text media triggered.

Strange!? Are you running VDMX6 Plus under Rosetta 2?

Any chance you could capture a screen recording of this? Based on the image it looks like you haven’t set a source layer. A video (followed up with a bug repot) would help show what’s happening!

Thanks

I’ve uploaded a video of a screen recording explaining the bug. Here’s the link:

I’m 99.9% sure it’s running natively and not on Rosetta 2. It’s not that a layer source is not set, the bug is that nothing shows up in the layer source when I trigger the text media in the media bin.

Somehow the link I’ve sent shows into a non playable media straight away. Try this link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/wshdgjwrc8nu2fvweodf2/ABRVPStodaNJ8Eba2Le_zok?rlkey=b9ludc5hpcus5g9z5xluqgtwj&st=6t5trcrk&dl=0

Thank you for sharing. It most likely won’t change anything, but there is a newer build of VDMX6 available on the forums with some updates: VDMX6 1.0.3 Update

I’ve shared it with the team. Thanks!

Hey Saolun,

A few questions, and if you’re still having issues, please send us a bug report from the Help menu so we can get a look at your console logs, etc.

1. If you go into your VDMX6 Preferences under Files, do you see the options for a default Text Style?

2. Also in your VDMX6 Preferences, have you changed what the default assets directory is for the application?

3. In the Help menu is an option to show the folder that contains various resources including the qcTextSources folder. Can you go there and confirm this folder exists?

4. Do you happen to have VDMX5 installed on the same computer right now? If so, can you check to see if text sources are working as expected for you there? If not, you can download that installer (http://vidvox.net/download/vdmx5) and give it a try.

2 Likes

I think I’ve found the problem. Under “Rendering” in Settings, I’ve disabled all QC content. My guess is text uses QC? Once I reenabled it, I could see the “Text Styles” under “Files” in settings, and text is now working!

While we’re on the topic of text, I’d like a feature request for the basic “Block Text” style. Sometimes I’d like to just quickly add an announcer text on screen for patrons, so an easy way for basic text to appear. “Block Text” style works perfectly for this, also with the ability to change font. The only downside is I can’t change its colour. Colour can only be changed for “Beat Text”, but that style’s text keeps moving around to a bpm. Is it possible to add a font colour option for “Block Text”? That would make things much easier. Unless if there are other easy ways that I do not know of, then I’m open for lessons/suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks @saolun I added the request to the feature request list. Glad you figured out what was causing the issue.

You could just add a color filter after the text generator? Like False Color and then set black to black and replace white with your desired color…?