SUPERNOVA — free audio-reactive particle visuals, Syphon source for VDMX (macOS)

Hi all. I’m Joaquín and I make free plug-ins under the name OVNI Audio. One of them is really a visual tool, so this seemed like the right place for it.

SUPERNOVA turns a photo, a folder of images or a video into 262,144 GPU particles that move with an analysis of the sound. It runs as a VST3/AU plug-in inside your DAW, or as a standalone Mac app that can capture the audio of any app on the Mac (macOS 13 or later), with no BlackHole or aggregate device in between.

For VDMX, the output is a Syphon source: pick it up as a layer and treat it like any other input. It can also go fullscreen on any display, or record MP4 with the audio in sync.

  • 50 particle “worlds”, 3D camera, colour lab
  • Free, no account, no trial; source code under AGPLv3
  • macOS 11 or later, universal (Apple Silicon and Intel), signed and notarised

If something misbehaves on the VDMX side, I’d like to hear about it.