Stream Deck - great controller for VDMX

I might be late to this and maybe all of you have them already, but I haven’t seen anyone mention them here! Fully programmable button controllers with independent graphics pr button:

Just got my second one immediately after testing one, because wow! these are überbrilliant for live performance working VDMX! Particularly for media bins since I can load graphics on all buttons, and trigger scenes without even looking at computer. And can be customized to pretty much everything, MIDI and OSC, and folders within folders for eternal possibilities. I am SUPER happy with these.

And not only for VDMX, can really work with anything on your system, and can follow your active app so adjust your control to which app has focus. I suddenly have lot more realtime control of everything on my system. For sure not for everyone, and I know I sound like an ad, but I was so happy to find these, it simplifies my performances enourmously, I bet some of you also will be happy to know about these.

Would be super awesome with VDMX integration like a realtime media bin connection (autopopulate deck pages from media bin pages) but I’d rather team Vidvox work on more pressing issues ;)

3 Likes

These boxes are great little units to have around. The official software and community plugins have gotten very competent since release.

Highly recommend taking a further look at the Bitfocus Companion alternative software, which has specific plugins for various lighting consoles, sound boards, QLab, PJLink, ATEM… and generic protocols like OSC (naturally), Art-Net, and so on.

For kicks you can also run Companion on a Raspberry Pi 4.

I build far fewer button boxes than I used to since this came out. A while back I had Resolume sending the clip name strings to the buttons, but it wasn’t particularly reliable and I’ve since forgotten what voodoo made it work.

2 Likes

Hey folks, I know the new Elgato Streamdeck Plus isn’t the latest news on the block anymore,
but I’ve been more tan happy with this upgrade. The 4 cool Pods and the touchscreen buttons add another layer of flexibility that suits my workflow perfectly. Although the stand isn’t as portable as the older model, but being able to assign your own MIDI notes and quickly script with this device is a game-changer. For all the VDMX enthusiasts out there, this tool will definitely hit the sweet spot… ;)

Curious to hear more. We are getting a LoupeDeck soon to test, should we grab a StreamDeck for some testing?

I had chosen the LoupeDeck too, if it was available for me at this time… ;)

StreamDeck is a great tool for many programs, “including” VDMX :)
but I think LoupeDeck got better features and much better shape play with… ;)

Which features do you think the LoupeDeck has that the Stream deck doesn’t, and what do you like the most for your setup?

Thanks.

The loupdeck came in and I’ve started playing with it. Super cool that it supports AppleScript actions!

1 Like

its form and shape is its best feature… :kissing_heart:
way more like a controller… ;)
I miss that on StreamDeck… :(

Can you give us an update on how Loupedeck performed, which model you have and any innovative ways it could be used. I’m looking for a companion to my Midi Fighter Twister and I’m curious about Stream Deck / Loupedeck.

Things like app profiles could be one reason to buy, the Blender profile looks useful.

I ended up making a QLab profile for the Loupedeck: QLab Profile for Loupedeck – Projectile Objects

It was much easier because QLab has a number of built in keyboard shortcuts, and accepts AppleScript commands for just about everything else.

Currently, Loupedeck doesn’t have an OSC plugin option and their MIDI configuration is a ‘very’ manual process / time consuming. I’m going to build a VDMX profile for Loupedeck, but I will have to pair it with a template so the mappings are accurate.

I do like the size of the Loupedeck Live (I wouldn’t recommend the CT for something like this). I wish it was battery powered and wireless, but that’s not likely to happen with this current version.

The form factor and size, along with potentiometer knobs, make it a nice addition, and since we are all very used to customizing our VDMX setup, I don’t see the MIDI controller setup as a bad thing.

I’ve made a request to the loupedeck team that they add some sort of “auto configure” for MIDI mapping, so the device doesn’t create duplicate MIDI commands.

I’ve also been eyeing up the Stream deck MKII for $149 the Loupedeck live is definitely more of a “premium” product and on the pricer side $269: Loupedeck Live - Loupedeck US

Loupedeck was recently acquired by logitech, so it could go either way at this point? They also make the Razer devices. I’ve had a good experience with it so far, but I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone (yet).

2 Likes

I prefer the layout of Loupedeck Live over Stream Deck MKII / Stream Deck +. I think I would be inclined to set up a default profile for master, group and layer control on the Loupedeck and keep the FX on a trusted MIDI compliant device like my Midi Fighter Twister. That way I could separate the fixed and dynamic controls (my style is to MIDI map FX as I go). Re the price point, it’s equivalent to a decent quality MIDI controller with the added benefit of being useful in studio as well as out of the road. Slight concern over Logitech acquiring Loupedeck as that could suffocate or kill the product… or bloat the software. But as I already use a Logitech MX Master 3S mouse it could be Ok.

2 Likes