Rutt Etra Black Screen

Hey using lastest version of VDMX, when i try the rutt etra effect i just get a black screen. Checked forums tried running the extras installer and this didnt fix it. Im on new MBP on Monterey.

1 Like

This could be because Rutt Etra is a Quartz Composer effect and I don’t think QC works at all on an M1 Mac with Monteray. The installers don’t exist for it so I don’t see how Rutt Etra would work, perhaps someone else can confirm this tho.

2 Likes

If you want to use Rutt Etra now, you’ll have to run VDMX under Rosetta 2. You can right click on the application, get info, and tell your computer to use Rosetta 2 until there’s a Apple Silicon native version of Rutt Etra

3 Likes

super fast and helpful as always thank you

1 Like

just one more quick question
is there any downside to running on Rossetta 2?

1 Like

I’d say there are a number of performance buffs that you lose out on as well as some bug fixed that were addressed in M1 macs.

If it runs fine for you, I’d say go for it. Rutt Etra was created by vade, so you’ll have to make it Apple Silicon native: http://v002.info/plugins/v002-rutt-etra/

Feel free to thank vade for all their contributions!

2 Likes

TY VADEGOD :raised_hands:

1 Like

The Rutt Etra effect (all praise Vade) really bogs down my M1 Mac Mini under Rosetta. Hopefully someone updates it for use on new machines.

hello!
rutt etra is super important for many visuals I do! And Rosetta 2 doesn’t seem to work properly.
What do you mean by “make it Apple Silicon native”?

thanks!

1 Like

Rutt Etra is made by Vade. If you search the forums you can see the discussion about this in the past.

Since Vade made Rutt Etra, it is up to them to make it silicon native. (Which means it runs natively on M1 Macs with architecture designed by Apple (not Intel)).
For now it works under Rosetta 2 (which is how all non-native applications run on M1 Macs).

Hello!
thanks for your quick reply, I have already read all the discussion about, I couldn’t understand if was turnable by anyone through coding.
Various effects still don’t work with M1+Monterey, such as Convergence f.e.
Is it supposed to be fixed with new VDMX updates or we’d better say goodbye?

love

S.

Rutt Etra comes as a separate plugin bundle when you install VDMX. It is made by an outside developer. If you wrote an FX plugin for VDMX, you could share it with community.

It would then be up to you, to take your free time and rewrite the code behind that plugin to work with M1 Macs natively. For now, most users run VDMX under Rosetta 2 to avoid loss of functionality.

This will most likely stay this way until there is an Apple Silicon only version of VDMX. At that point, everything included with VDMX should be updated and working, but this will leave out Intel Macs from future updates (which (as a guess) account for most VDMX users). So for now, VDMX walks the in between line of cross compatibly.

I found that vuo has a rutt etra composition. (https://vuo.org/node/1205) I’m wondering if anyone has had success getting it to run on an M1 mac natively and not with Rosetta, which is just too slow?

From what I can tell it does not work using Rosetta under current mac OS. Any idea for a workaround to this?

It doesn’t work on b8.8.0.8 under OSX 13 Ventura w/ Rosetta 2?

I’m on Version b0.8.8.0.5 but otherwise yes. Going to upgrade to vb8.8.0.8 and confirm.

Ok yes can confirm. I’m on Ventura 13.2.1 on an m2 mac running vb9.8.0.8 on rosetta and rutt etra goes to a black screen when activated.

Ventura is making a lot of things incompatible across the mac spectrum. :roll_eyes:

Give this a try.

It was originally based on - Shader - Shadertoy BETA

But i made a bunch of changes and added some published parameters.

If anyone can report on using it with M series machines that would be great

4 Likes

Works great on my M3 Max, Sonoma 14.1.1 :+1:

thanks for sharing🙏

1 Like