RAM speed vs amount - opinions on my options

Hello all!
This is sorta techie and I’m just looking for opinions on my 2 available options for RAM configuration/processor and if maybe I should swap. It’s sorta a pain in the foot to do so that’s why some feedback would be great. All the parts are compatible and tested.

I’m running a Xeon v1 Hackintosh as my main VDMX machine right now. I am running 32g of 1600mhz ddr3 using 4 channels for the memory, 4x 8g. I have in an unused server with 2 x 32g 1366 mhz that is compatible with the machine; which would allow me double the RAM, albeit slower. Also it would be quadrupling the RAM per channel as well.

I tend to run Ableton and reason with VDMX and am currently happy with performance. I also sometimes run 1-2 Adobe apps with VDMX when not using the DAWs. Two different work flows. I still have overhead in both cases for syphon, OBS, OSCulator or other small random softwares.

Another curiosity is the processor - it’s a 4 core 8t 3.3 ghz. I also have an 8c 16t 2ghz Xeon.

So I have options on switching parts. I highly doubt going with double the cores at a slower clock (by 1.3ghz) would be very useful. But I could be wrong so that why I’m pondering it loudly here. Maybe VDMX handles multi thread like a champ- or running it with Live and Reason would benefit.

More, does the RAM swap I can do make sense to anyone? Double the ram, but slower, and running on half the channels.

Oh the GPU is an rx570 4g but I don’t think that’s very useful to this discussion.

Thanks for reading through!

0 Likes

From my experience more RAM is always better. I’m not sure how the speed will
Affect you.

It seems like an easy swap and try it scenario.

0 Likes

It depends on what you are doing. Generally speaking for video processing the GPU is going to get the most work. RAM is important if you’re doing a lot to fill it up, but if not, your CPU might be doing more work running a lot of FX or other applications alongside.

What’s your workflow / process like?

0 Likes