Overlapping Midi channel issue

So…I have been having this issue for a while, and always just dismissed it and found ways to work around it, but my setup is getting more complicated and it’s more of a challenge to dismiss it.

I have a Novation Launch Control XL and a Midi Fighter Twister (and a Lauchpad), and there seems to be overlapping MIDI channels – like they both have number 15, for example. I thought since they were different controllers, and it recognizes which controller it is mapped to, that there wouldn’t be crossover, but there is. I can twist the Midi Fighter Twister knob that’s also mapped to channel 15 and it affects the item that is mapped to channel 15 on the Novation. Am I missing a setting somewhere? or do I need to reassign the channels?

Also – is there a way to get a list of what items are assigned by channel? So I can look through and make sure there are no overlaps? Right now it’s just an accidental kind of a thing that I stumble across as acting wonky.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes

You could remap your controller or try something like Osculator to tweak the values. Maybe someone knows anther MIDI way.

0 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier to change the midi-channel on each device. Launch Control XL to channel 14 and the Launchpad (which version?) to 13? I don’t know if the Fighter Twisters has a way to change the channel but at least i know most Novation’s controllers can be set to other channels.

0 Likes

Hi !

I have the Novation launch Kontrol too and have it set to user mode 5

Which corresponds to MIDI channel 5 for all ist values

As it’s the default controller I use for vdmx, I have it set this way so it’s most likely well out of range of any other MIDI controllers I’ll add on an ad hoc basis

To access the user modes, hold the user button down on the top right of the unit then select one of the bottom row of buttons 1-8 that light up under the faders and that should set the user mode
It’s rare it needs resetting when you unplug and replying but I often check Just for peace of mind before a show

All controllers have something similar to change the MIDI Channel but I find this one very accessible to do so

Hope that helps !

Dan

0 Likes

Ah, thank you! this is helpful! I will do this as it seems to be the easiest work around. Hopefully it will keep me out of range of all the other channels.

And yes, I could remap them one by one, but tracking down the dupes and reprogramming seems a bit daunting.

0 Likes

That is exactly why most midi-devices have 16 channels. If a device has a fixed channel it’s mostly cheap garbage or badly designed.

0 Likes