Mac mini M2 Pro vs Mac Studio M1 (base model) vs MacBook Pro 14" M2 Pro

What are your thoughts on the new crop of Mac’s?

I’m running a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and a bunch of custom Opencore based Hackintosh (OSX86) machines. Generally I use one or two outputs for projectors at 1080 and travel with flight cases so using desktop machines is not an issue.

The question is when I’m ready do I buy another laptop considering the high cost or switch to desktops? For me the sweet spot looks like the Mac Studio.

Mac mini M2 Pro (512Gb, 32Gb) @ £1,799 GBP
Apple M2 Pro with 10‑core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
Up to three displays: two displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI

Mac Studio (base model, 512Gb, 32Gb) @ £1,999 GBP
Apple M1 Max with 10‑core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colours) over USB‑C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colours) over HDMI

MacBook Pro 14" M2 Pro (1Tb, 32Gb) @ £3,099 GBP
Apple M2 Pro with 12‑core CPU, 19‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, or one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

I’m thinking about the mini because I haven’t been completely happy about the screen quality of the last couple Apple computers I’ve had that have had built in screens (mainly ghosting issues), and because decent enough externals seem so cheap nowdays. The studio might be the better route than the mini, not sure.

1 Like