Is there a way to use an audio file as an input source?

Hello,

I want to use some (pre-recorded) audio as an input for the Audio Analysis plugin, but I cannot see how to do that.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I have looked through the manual and searched the forum and cannot find an answer.

Soundflower, Blackhole, or Audio HiJack to name a few.

Soundflower used to be the goto, but I’m not sure if it was updated for M1 macs.

https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

Maybe there’s another way someone else knows of?

1 Like

I had been using VB Cable but the latency seems pretty high. I just installed Black Hole and it seems to work great as an output source in Audio Hijack. Rogue Amoeba makes brilliant audio routing software and they have Loopback, which seems to be very flexible. It’s not free or cheap, but I love everything they make.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, but a Soundflower type solution only routes sound from one app to another.

I’m just trying to use a .wav or .mp3 file - but it seems the only way to use an audio file is to have some other app (e.g. a player, DAW, similar) play that file, so an audio router can send the data to VDMX.

I believe you can use the media bin for loose audio files to play on its own layer. Then route the output to Loopback(sound flower) or a digital sound card alt (Dante digital card) works too, or an analog usb sound device, for audio analysis to see it.

Hope that helps? so many ways to route it.

1 Like

Ah, I see.

Use VDMX (as app1) sending from a layer to VDMX (as app2).
I’ll have to see if I can get that to work.

Now I have one other little problem, Soundflower doesn’t support M1 Macs (yet anyway).
I’ll have to scout the other options.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply - I couldn’t see how I could use Soundflower until you suggested loopback.

Cheers,
BK

Loopback from Rogue Amoeba is my go to for audio routing. Its solid and easy to use and simple to switch profiles. Supports M1 macs (easy instructions to enable the correct security settings for third party tools).

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

2 Likes

Thanks for replying.

Loopback looks good, but I can’t afford it out of the budget for this project.

One simple hack is to use a cable. If you are on a Mac you will need to split the output to get audio out and mic in. Then just create a loop there by plugging in a mini jack-to-jack (It’s easier on a Hackintosh).

You will need to consider how you monitor the audio. Possibly a splitter on the audio jack. The good thing with this method is there is no latency.

Also create a movie file for your audio as VDMX will work better with that. Plus assign a keystroke or MIDI to the 0 point for the audio playback + play button so that you can easily start/stop and reset.

BTW VDMX has an audio pass through but you have to be careful about feedback. But in some cases that can be an FX :)

NDI works using a third party framework like Vuo but you need the Pro version ($$). Not sure if there are any free NDI tools to help with this.

1 Like

Still running Catalina, have not tried audio reactive visuals for a while, finding Soundflower and other normal solutions not working…any advice? OBS?

Can you encode your audio files as video with no/black screen then run them out of media bin? Even hackier and more time consuming, if you are able to see the audio routed in analysis (from whatever you use as a player app) you COULD do a movie recorder plug in, start recording with the audio analysis set to pick it up and set in movie recorder, proceed to record a video in VDMX, go to the audio app, play yr audio, go back to VDMX and end the movie recording, and then edit the in/out points.

1 Like

Yep, that was suggested and I think that makes the most sense, given the way VDMX is set up.

Seems like a funny thing to have to do to get an audio file in, but I guess it will work.