I broke my ISF Editor!

Hi,
since few weeks when I’m trying to use latest version 2.9.13 of the ISF editor I get an error :
“Illegal instruction: 4”
I checked on Ggl and found that it was a compatible problem with olde OSX version ?! (I’m on Mojave)
was looking for previous version like 2.9.12 or 2.9.11 but when I’m launching the installation get an error about downloading data.

Best
Z

You can download the latest release and re-install,
https://isf.vidvox.net/desktop-editor/

1 Like

Did it few time nothing changes.
I don’t know how I am able to do that ?!!
No matter maybe next update of ISF editor will work.

thank you

:crazy_face::dizzy_face:

Same here… any idea @davidlublin? (beta and stable)

edit: Found a workaround @CtrlZ open the installer (right click -> show content) and then navigate to Contents --> MacOS --> ISFEditor_Installer <-- double click that

1 Like

Hm, hit me up on email and include your console log if possible?

1 Like

I did this too, but still not working
I’ll test it again later

@davidlublin I sent it to you mine (29.12.19)

It seems like the installer / app is having trouble creating the “user” ISF directory where downloaded shaders are stored. In the Finder, use the “Go to Folder…” option and enter “~/Library/Graphics/” and see if an “ISF” folder is there. If it isn’t, create it and try everything again.

We’ve run into this ourselves with this new installer system (since we made the app x-platform), but usually it works fine after you run the installer again.

Thank you for taking time for this
I re-download the installation app tried to launch still get the same error, so I opened with right click and choose the “Afficher le contenu du paquet” (I don’t know how it’s called in English.

I did what you tell us, (already had ISF folder so I renamed it, and create a new one)
The folder stay empty after installation.
Tried to launch and same problem.

Last login: Mon Jan 13 18:40:32 on ttys000

/Applications/ISF\ Editor/ISFEditor.app/Contents/MacOS/ISFEditor ; exit;

MBPdeChsZoltan2:~ cz$ /Applications/ISF\ Editor/ISFEditor.app/Contents/MacOS/ISFEditor ; exit;

Illegal instruction: 4

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Opération terminée]

Sorry

@microfx did you find a solution ?

the workaround was fixing it on my end - sorry to hear you still have problems…

1 Like

(I didn’t realize this thread is two years old before I wrote this reply, but my reply is relevant so I’m posting it anyway)

Hi - I might be able to help. Try moving the installer to your Desktop folder (or anywhere other than Downloads) before running it.

There is a security policy called “Gatekeeper path randomization” (also known as “app translocation”) that applies to apps or installers you run in the Downloads folder. That policy is trying to prevent bad code from doing bad things, unfortunately it also can cause problems for good code.

I don’t know for sure that this policy is what’s breaking your attempts, but based on your error screenshot I’m pretty certain that this policy is in effect. I am able to install ISF Editor from the Downloads folder on my macOS 12.2.1 system, but perhaps you’re using older macOS that has more problems in this area.

You can tell if a program is being ‘translocated’ by using the Activity Monitor utility while the program is running. Search for the process in the list, then double click it, then select the “Open Files and Ports” tab. Near the top of the text should be a line that ends with the name of the thing you’re running. If that line starts with /private/var/folders, it is translocated.

In the two screenshots below, the first one was taken when I ran the ISF Editor installer from Downloads (so it is translocated), and the second one was taken when I ran it from Desktop (not translocated).

Translocated:

Not translocated:

This problem can be avoided if the author of the installer “signs” the package or app, or distributes it in a signed disk image, however the signing capability is not free and requires periodic maintenance to keep it working, so I personally don’t fault vidvox for not doing this.

Hope this helps!
-dre