[Feature Request] - OSC for projectmilkSyphon

I’ve been working on some viz for some of our shows … and instead of recreating the wheel … have found several good visualizations in projectM. I was getting ready to explore adding Syphon, OLAd DMX and/or basic OSC support to the tool, when I stumbled across projectmilksyphon … and was wondering if there is interest in adding OSC or DMX based control? I’d be willing to work on this given the tool is released for free if the source is available; else I think it would be a fantastic tool for cue’d shows where you could easily configure into a showfile discrete visualizations.

Source code is available here - https://github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectm/releases

this would be rad for mac! someone did pretty similar for windows: http://nestimmersion.ca/nestdrop.html

I loved the Winamp Milkdrop back then. Never found projectM appealing. Somehow it lacks all the cool presets from back in the days. Or do I have to get the right presets from somewhere?

From the projectm page:
You can also download an enormous 41,000 preset pack of presets here (123MB zipped).

And are there good presets? 41000 seems like a lot of mediocre/bad stuff to go through? I remember 4-5 nice presets from milk drop …

If you’re suggesting there needs to be a way to tag/organize/rate presets I don’t disagree ;) I have gone thru some and found some I like … some that I didn’t. This too could be a nice build on the tool. Realistically I’d just want the ability to call specific, start, crossfade, etc between selected presets based on OSC or DMX input. Selecting and organizing would follow I think.

1 Like

If you find a solution keep us in the loop!

Here is a collection I curated which contains only the best Milkdrop presets. I organized everything into 11 category folders: Dancer, Drawing, Fractal, Geometric, Hypnotic, Particles, Reaction, Sparkle, Supernova, Waveform, Transition. Within each of these category folders the presets have been further organized into 183 various subcategory folders. Enjoy!

4 Likes

At some point we are going to have to update this for Metal (if that’s even possible?), I’ll make a note of this as a feature request.

Nice collection.

With all the work you’ve done curating the list brings a question for @davidlublin:
Is there a way to manage the presets in ProjectMilkSyphon? The default collection is 1400 presets which is a looooong list.

One further issue … with Catalina … it doesn’t make a request to add audio permission … so can’t take audio in ;) … Any workarounds?

How about ProjectWinAmpAVSSyphon? Winamp Advanced Visualization Studio was my weapon of choice back in the days when i was running VisualJockey.exe on live gigs… Rendered and created lots of avs’s back in the days to .avi.