Computer match

Hi!
What computer do you recommend to vdmx5 (latest version)
I want to work with my own shot videos and my own photographed pic as a base
Manipulate them with effects and sound

Basically, I recommend a desktop rather than a laptop/book because you get a lot more for the same money. Then I would say that for today’s times and to make it somewhat future-proof, it should be at least: 32GB RAM for a book or 64GB for a desktop, V-Ram should be around 10-12 GB and 2TB storag by a nvmeHD, a not older then 3 years CPU at a desktop by fluidcooling, by a desktop min 850W AC-Modul.

You can use any newer Mac. I’d recommend any Macbook Pro (not the Macbook Air). Try to have more than 1TB internal SSD and 16GB+ of memory. @bennoH comment doesn’t really reflect a touring VJ, or person who purchases a Mac mini for installations.

A Mac uses swap for memory. So once you’ve filled up your memory, it pulls off your SSD. So a 2TB SSD + 16GB of memory, in theory you have almost 1.5TB of free memory on your computer. Mac applications are far better at system wide memory management than PCs and windows software.
(sometimes too good, this used to lead to background applications freezing while running, but that was in the early days of the M1 processors and with M1 mac users with 8GB of memory and limited SSD space).

The ARM (Apple Silicon) technology is far superior when it comes to cooling. You don’t need liquid cooling, your battery will last for 20+ hours and the laptops fan will seem to never run. I’d recommend buying an M3 Pro or Max. You can use any basic Mac model, but it depends on what you want to do performance-wise and in the future.

I’m still on an M1 Max MacBook Pro and it out performs all the other windows machines I’ve purchased in the past few years.

Buy one, try it, and if you don’t like it, Apple gives you 14-days to return it.

2 Likes

OK Cornelius, I have to honestly admit that I haven’t used an Apple product myself (Book or ProMac, i.e. tower) for a long time. But I can’t believe for the life of me that data sheets lie, and in comparisons like these, every Apple device does badly with competitors in terms of price-performance ratio. These features, like the current super M technology, have always been more hot air than reality; what Apple and its admirers say about it as being unique. Technologies change and progress is made, and people copy everything from PC to Apple and vice versa. The bottom line is that I can’t refute your statements, but I also can’t believe that they are that meaningful. But I’m not going to say anything more about Apple on this forum, or speak out against it. In my day, the devices were always a little better but also cost 5 more, which was disproportionate, and this has become even more dramatic with the general run on Apple products by those who earn a little more. From tomorrow onwards, I won’t be commenting on any posts or contributing any more, because I don’t have a Mac and I don’t use VDMX5, so I’m not an expert here. So, sorry, Cornelius, for getting so carried away. But have a good time everyone, greetings, bennoH.

1 Like

As we all generally plug in to a mains power supply a Mac mini combined with a small 15-16-inch display can work for single or dual channel. The forthcoming mini M4 will be interesting as long as it can support 2-3 displays but I would highly recommend a rack mounted Apple Studio as the cooling is better. I would say a min of 24-32 GB of memory and 1 TB of storage as the smaller drives are slow. My tip, look out for used Apple Studio M1 as people upgrade.