Big Sur M1 Mac Issues

Is anyone having any issues with M1 and Big Sur? In particular, we have a user who is experiencing Hanging and UI problems on their M1 Mac Mini.

If you are as well, please email us or send us a bug report (top menu) Help > Report Bug.

Thanks!

1 Like

I was just going to respond to another thread where I noted that the performance on the M1 Mac Mini was pretty good. Since then, I’ve been having some issues with the UI hanging and becoming unresponsive. I’ll send in a if report later today.

2 Likes

Absolutely - im on the latest Beta of VDMX and all i get is hanging, or laggy sound analysis, after a few minutes the EQ graph doesnt respond, although playthrough still happens. In my 3 laters of FX the on/off lose functionality for every FX and the adjustment sliders all become unresponsive. Ive sent numberous bug reports and screen videos of this horror show that is ruining every livestream. I use older mac for OBS streaming machine networked on a Gigabit network and M1 16gig machine for the main VDMX stuff - does anyone else get this experience ?

yeah i replied below, i get that everytime the UI hangs,sound analysis levels go laggy then stop moving… then all FX become non-adjustable, during a liveset… stuffed

Maybe you could share your workflow? All the things that are running alongside VDMX at the same time? Someone had a different issue eariler today and it was caused by their incompatble external audio card. -Thx

My soundcard works great with Ableton Live, OBS and Intel MBP Retina , but when I use with. latest VDMX on M1 the whole interaction shudders to a halt within minutes, FX sliders inactive, or even invisible… no live audio Analysis, a laggy, useless attempt at reacting to sound playthrough from soundcard Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - do you have known issues with this brand ansd model ? anynone else using a soundcard for live DJ sets ? what do you use ? ive send bug reports for months and dont get any feedback on them, i have activity monitor running etc…would love to get to the bottom of this and my expensive fast new M1 mac 16 Gig machine not running the main app i bought it for:flushed:

Which version of VDMX are you using?

the latest release for M1 silicon since December

b8.7.2.11?

Bug reports for that version go directly to email. Have you been sending them through the help menu or are you sending crash logs through apple?

Are you running b8.7.2.11 under rosetta 2 or natively. Does the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 support native silicon applications?

I have a Motu M2 and a 16" M1 Max macbook pro and have not experienced any issues with my external sound card or the build in microphone audio analysis.

Does Ableton or OBS running natively on M1 Mac work correctly with your Scarlett? Looks like you’ll need to test with Ableton 11.1 to confirm.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/live-111-apple-silicon-support-now-in-public-beta/

everything else is fine. I am on MBP Big Sur with VDMX and M1 16 Gig with your latest release. Its so bad on the M1 i cannot use it - your software visually hides all sliders for FX and audio analysis when i attempt to create or edit a project for soundcard playthrough or using internal playthrough for practice. I have sent so many bug reports i think i am being ignored, even password reserts dont havppen automatically - i have 5 Macs here so not all are on same icloud or network, I am not in rosetta no. The Focusrite works excellent witgh Ableton 10 which is the last edition that older MacBook can run on High Sierra. Its a very new soundcard model. OBS runs natively on all Macs. Ableton on old mac with soundcard is perfect. MBP 2017 model Big Sur also runs with Focusrite * no ableton this machine but OBS is fine… VDMX crashes but i get some output for ypto an hour before shit goes down. GThe M1 is the impossibel situation - useless with VDMX and soundcard. one day we used a webcam as my sound in for audio analysis to affect my FX, not ideal but was. WORKAroiund… its basically laggy and very unreliable, please advise = i will post my questions when spell checked thanks

that link is dead - please send working one as i dont know what you are trying to show me thanks

A few Qs:

-What is the make and model of your sound card? How is it connected to your USB C port?

Other things of note:

• You have 5 macs. A VDMX license is good for three computers. Not 5. Those are the terms. Resolume gives you one computer, Madmapper gives you two computers. VDMX gives you three because there’s no internal de-registering system.

-Ableton 10 runs on Rosetta 2, Ableton 11.1 is M1 native. Does your sound card work with native silicon applications (such as Ableton 11.1).

I understand this transition from Intel macs to native Apple Silicon is confusing, but it is happening either way. When apple moved from the G5 to Intel there was a mass migration event. Many of the apps you are running now on your M1 are still running under Rosetta 2. Dropbox, a massive company, doesn’t even have an M1 native build of their Mac app. VDMX with all of its features does. You are still in the early stages of the big transition.

on the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017 ) ,8.7.2.11
I had the beta on the M1 and whenever you updated the reelase for silicon i had that running.
on the M1 Monterey

( so dont worry - I uninstalled VDMX from MBP 15inch High Sierra ( the one running ABleton Live 10 )
so i can use on M1 and MBP on Big Sur over 2 years ago)
The Focusrite 3rd gen card says works on all 3 OS X devices, the other devices are 2 ipads and Iphone 13 pro max so they are apple iOS corrected.

Soundcard has USB port, can use lead USB to USB ( for the pcs in the house ) or USB to USB C for the 2 newer Macs. As we all know - Focusrite is a major brand of audio I/O hardware

So the M1 works with Monterey, I dont have Ableton on this machine as many old plugins only work upto version 10 of Live

but are you now saying the native version of VDMX is the issue - shoudl i install the June Beta edition instead - all my FX shaders wont load on launch…

I cant stream for more than an hour without a full crash of VDMX, i have sent over 20 bug reports somwtimes with requested files from additional Activity report application… I still hope someone out there with an M1 ( remember i had the 8 gig, which was blamed, so i sold it and got the 16 gig model ) has a soundcard - they can vouch for running VDMX, OBS… anyone like to jump in and throw me a line ? thanks to all who have issues,

For your M1, please use VDMX b8.7.2.11+ (12.or 13)

Running older versions of VDMX on M1 macs is not recommended. Additionally, when newer bug reports are filed on b8.7.2.10 they go directly to our email support threads. I have not recieved 20 bug reports. Which means you are most likely submitting crash reports through Apple (which also anonymizes your data and gives us no way to get in touch with you).

To do so correctly, when VDMX is open, click on the Help menu > Report Bug.

Submitting bugs with older versions of VDMX will send them to the previous support system (which I do not have access to).

If you’re using an Intel Machine, feel free to use older / stable versions of VDMX that work best for your system. You should be able to use the latest build, but when in doubt, roll back. My 2015 MBP runs a very stable version of b8.2.3.2.

For M1 systems, try to use the latest version and if you are missing features, enable the application using Rosetta 2 and see if that fixes your problems. Some features may not work running natively, but the performance will be better. I’ve ran b8.7.2.9, .10, .11, .12, and now .13 in over 20 shows since their release without a crash. They only time I ever had an issue with them was running under Rosetta 2 (performance was sluggish, and interface blanked out / not updating correctly).

Your 2017 MBP should work fine with a focusrite interface. If you see it in your audio midi system, you should see it inside VDMX.

For your M1, to use the Focusrite, make sure to follow their guide posted above. If you see the Focusrite in your Audio MIDI (MIDI STUDIO) then VDMX should see it. If it is not showing up in the built in Apple Midi Studio, then you’ll have to troubleshoot your Focusrite (cable, usb port, format (44.1-48hz), etc).

I found this part of your post very confusing, “I am on MBP Big Sur with VDMX and M1 16 Gig with your latest release. Its so bad on the M1 i cannot use it.”

It sounds like you are talking about an M1 Macbook Pro running OSX Big Sur and VDMX. But if these are two computers (and Intel 2017 Macbook Pro) and a (2020 M1 Mac Mini 16GB), please specifiy which device and which version of VDMX they are using. Thank you.