Beyond 4k resolution

Over the past year we have seen more and more festivals and shows move to 4k resolution screens and as we head into this year i am starting to see specs for upcoming shows that go beyond 4k and move into 8k.
Will we see some updates to VDMX to assist with this? One of the big ones i think is codecs. It would be amazing to see a update to the Hap codec and also support for the NotchLC codec which has been shown to work well and have much higher quality (less banding on gradients , Much faster encode speeds). Its free with a well documented SDK so would be great to see it supported in VDMX.

1 Like

The workflow for 8k will be insane, 4k is starting to be more practical but there’s still a lot of catching up to do and 4k is still expensive. I suspect 8k output will be pre-recorded and streamed out via media servers and the creatives job will be mostly studio based. But I have to say it’s going to be interesting. I saw an 8k demo of the JVC projector years ago at the BBC. They showed the last Space Shuttle takeoff and it was like looking out of a window at a real world scene. Pretty amazing but totally inaccessible for most in terms of end-to-end workflow cost.

1 Like

I have a upcoming show with a 7680 x 1536 which while not being 8K is beyond 4k resolution. Have done a bunch of 4k shows over past year and VDMX has generally been ok (even running quartz composer stuff)

Going to be relying mostly on rendered content and Notch. Having the NotchLC codec available in VDMX would be helpful. I also imagine one of the limitations will become disk speed.

The new Macbook pro’s can output 8k via hdmi 2.1

1 Like