Apple deprecaton of KEXT

Apple is deprecating Kernel Extensions (KEXT) in favor of System Extensions. This is changing and removing some functionality. For example the popular audio-loopback software RogueAmoeba has had to modify how it operates. Apple is making this change as of MacOS 10.15 (Catalina). Is Vidvox aware of these changes, and is there any guidance, such as not upgrading to Catalina?

I’d have to check with the team, but 10.15 was released in 2019, and in November Apple discontinues support of OSX 12 Monterey. VDMX6 is OSX 13+ so if you are trying to run VDMX5 on an older version of OSX, you’ll want to install one of the legacy versions.

If you are talking about upgrading to OSX 15 (Sonoma), that is a different question.

1. We don’t use any KEXTs with VDMX and never have, we didn’t / don’t have to make any changes on our end related to this
  2. This news is 4 years old and yes we keep up with the latest SDKs from Apple with every major OS update for VDMX
  3. At this point most other software from other companies, including Loopback, has long since been updated to work with the newer OS releases
1 Like

Gah, sorry I definitely got 10.15 and 15.1 mixed up :man_facepalming:

I had just seen the Rogue Amoeba announcement.

1 Like

HAPPENS TO US TOO SOMETIMES

2 Likes