Apc40 mk2 clip pad how to turn on the light?

apc40 mk2 clip pad how to turn on the light?

No lights on launchpad

This is from a secret (hopefully soon to drop) APC40 MK II template tutorial:

Not all buttons are RGB. When clips are ready to be triggered in your media bin, the 40 RGB button grid will light up blue, then yellow when the clip is selected. You can customize these colors yourself in the media bin options:

FYI

https://vdmx.vidvox.net/tutorials/akai-apc40-mk-ii-2-channel-vj-mixer-template-for-vdmx

Hi there:

Using the template I still having issues getting the lights on the APC to light up. Device protocol numbers look the same as you have above. any ideas what I might be missing? Thanks very much for the help.

Jon

I’m guessing you are using b8.7.2.11? Midi echo out isn’t working bin the version.

VDMX5_b8.7.2.10 is what I am using.

Could you upload your vdmx project for us to take a look at?

Thanks

test_project.vdmx5.zip (96.0 KB)

Thanks for having a look. It’s a stock APC40MK2, and everything seems to work except for this. I used the template that was posted before on this thread. akai-apc40-mk-ii-2-channel-vj-mixer-template-for-vdmx.

Jon

It’s working for me on Version b0.8.7.2.10 and previous versions.

Can I see you midi out settings in VDMX and in Apple’s Audio Midi Setup > Window > Show Midi Studio

Your APC should be listed in there.

I might be doing something obviously wrong, but I don’t see it. I have attached the midi studio (just one device.) I didn’t see anything explicitly about midi out in VDMX preferences, but I listed everything I could find related. I tried some very simple midi note outputs to the APC and each button lit up as expected. Maybe I unwittingly switched modes, but I can’t seem to find a document that tells me how to switch them or how to tell which mode you are in. Thanks for looking at this. Jon

09%20PM

Hi again,

I’ve done some more research. I can see that VDMX is sending a different note number out back to the APC to turn on a light. For example, 1st button, top left, note coming out of the APC is 32. VDMX sees this as note 32, but it is sending back to the APC note 0.

I also see that the notes coming from VDMX are note offs. If I turn on mutex note offs, I see the opposite light turn on below. I really can’t say if I have these settings right, but they do match what is documented, unless I missed something.

Another note, I can see elsewhere on the site that Monterey is not fully tested, but I upgraded before I saw this. It could be an OS bug, but I can’t tell.

Thanks again.

Jon

Put the device in USER-mode? There must be a button for that. By default it’s in Ableton mode and MIDI is weird.

The template works for me on OSX Monterey with b8.7.2.10, but not b8.7.2.11, because I’m running it natively on an M1 Mac. I could run it with Rosetta 2 and that should fix it, but the current M1 version of b8.7.2.11 has some known midi issues that are being addressed in the next update.

We used the out of the box default mode for this template because most people don’t change their settings, they just plug and play. You could always remap the APC40 template for a different device mode.

Well I re-downloaded version 10, deleted the app and re-installed. Same issue. If I send it noteons from Max Midi tester, the correct light lights up; note 32 is top right button. I don’t remember making any changes to the default config, but maybe I hit something without realizing it. I will look again for the info, but I don’t see a way for me to change the modes on the APC, and I assumed it was something that was set by software. I did try the APC with ableton live, could that have changed something on it? I really am at a loss here. Thanks for all the help.
Jon

Bottom of page 10, on how to change modes:
https://www.akaipro.de/sites/default/files/2018-01/APC40Mk2_Communications_Protocol_v1.2.pdf_7db83a06354c396174676105098e3a7d.pdf

OK I verified that I am in default mode. I created a patch in Max that sends the sysex message
F0 47 7F 29 60 00 04 40 08 02 01 F7 to the APC, and tested changing modes and back. From my understanding the unit works, the software is set up correctly using the template, but the clip indicators still don’t work. I appreciate the help, but I think I am going to put this problem aside at least for now.

Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Are you able to control the MIDI lights (Midi Out) via MAX on the M1 Mac with Monterey?

We think there might be a bug in Monterey itself that is causing issues with Midi out.

Thanks

Hi there:

So I don’t have an M1. I bought it before M1s were available.

I have tested midiout with Max and the unit responses as expected.

Trying to install Big Sur on an external drive, but having issues along the way. I thought I would test with the older OS to see how the unit responds. If I manage to do it I will let you know what outcome of the testing is.

Thanks again.

Jon