Anyone successfully capturing video at 60fps over USB?

Has anyone achieved smooth 60fps into VDMX over USB? I get skipped frames which is a problem as I’m doing image magnification onto large screens. To date I’ve had mostly good success with Blackmagic devices at 60fps but annoyingly they don’t support my camera at 1080p60, only 720p60.
I’ve tried the AJA UTAP-SDI and Magewell SDI adapter - which do work with my camera - but usually drop numerous frames, while occasionally doing 60fps for a stretch. I’ve messed with the render settings but not found a combination that improved things.

VDMX drops frames at all resolutions when at 60fps, so it’s not strictly a performance issue.

Using OBS with buffering on I get smooth 60fps but after a substantial delay.

I’m currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro (but have a 16" on order :-).

My hope is that VDMX can do 60fps somehow but with less buffering than OBS.

Thanks.

I now have the new 16" MacBook Pro (i9 2.4GHz, 8GB 5500M, 32GB) and still mostly see just 30fps over USB…

Not sure about the 60’s… but using several sources here same time…
Got good and tons of bad adventures with professional hardware in many ways already…

… started to use IOS devices as input/browsers… (like older and newer iPad’s)
works much better and faster in re/connection /even after crashes!!!
… like for GoPros as separate router per cam + input…
… or way much more content you are able to connect and display…

Which Magewell adapter did you try? Did you change any specific settings with the magewell utility?

It was a “Magewell USB Capture SDI USB 3.0 HD Video Capture Dongle Model XI100DUSB SDI”.

I did try the Magewell utility but didn’t find anything obvious to change there. Because OBS can receive 60fps without dropping frames (after a delay that’s so long it’s unusable) I think the problem is a buffering/handshaking issue on the USB/VDMX side.

I can’t say. I remember having good luck with the “Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus”, but that is HDMI only. When I tested the 4K version, it was awful, but maybe not for this. “Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus Device.” How does CamTwist handle the live input?

It sounds dumb, but maybe there’s another way to get your feed into syphon and then share it with VDMX. (I’m also on a 2015 MBP w/ OSX 10.12 16GB).

Mokose makes an SDI HDMI UVC device that might be worth a try. mokose sdi/hdmi Mokose had the lowest latency in OBS for any of the other UVC capture devices: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/capture-card-documentation-latency-decode-modes-formats-more.777/

Magewell didn’t score the best on that list ^ this is the specific mokose tested in that list.

lmk if any of this helps. thx

Thanks very much for the additional details. I did try that Mokose SDI adapter last year but ultimately returned it as I was searching for lowest latency (my main application is Image Magnification) and my Thunderbolt based BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini had lower latency and resource usage. However, I don’t recall having frame-drops at 60fps, so perhaps I should get another to try…

The Syphon route is an interesting idea too…