2 new ISF's for you

I have imported two Shadertoys with the “ISF Desktop Editor from VIDVOX” and given them some inputs as live control elements in the online editor on isf.video. You can use them as generators in VDMX5, FinalcutX, or Motion etc. under CC license conditions.
I hope I was of help.
Have a nice Sunday and see you soon bennoH.:panda_face:

:heart::green_heart::blue_heart: - by a lover of motion in RGB

1 Like

Could you possibly do a tutorial on how to import these with parameters? I basically have shaders that sometimes convert, often afe broken, but within vdmx i have no parameters. I understand that i am supposed to do it via code in the isf editor but not how. Any help would be appreciated thank you for the useable files

1 Like

Hi nice that U are intrestet for that. ISF is at the End of its greatest days,. Shderconcepts like SPIR-V wil be next generation and in the gaming industry it’s starting that forms last days & going that way under vulkan. Bud miast realtimevideo apps are not convertet to vulkan not yet, it’s coming soon. So we stay under openGL and so so mutch peaple do not realise how great stuf it 's ISF or shadertoy. Shadertoy are more in direction gaming and so some things are diffeend by coding. That diffrends and a lot mor like a profesionel tutorial and mo… U find by vidvox on the isf.video platform.
I’m not a programmer, so I’ve come up with a trick to convert Shadertoys to ISFs and create the essential “INPUTS”. Without it make’s no sens for us as VJs and so. It’s based on just testing out intuitive and a bit of chance, but over time you notice where you can influence witch things. And som shadertoycoders like “evvvil” make a lot of comments in the codes so you can see what is the rigt place to do a input for that or this. & I’m currently only creating “floats”, which makes sense because you can address a lot of things with this type. So here’s my tutorial in this sense:

So u like to go from Shadertoys to ISFs for realtimeVideoApps do this:
After import & compiling Shadertoys by use the free “desktop ISF-Editorto” from VIDVOX (ISF) ad Input’s for realtime video programms like Resolume Arena oder VIDVOX’s VDMX5, by a easy trick:

• Go haffe a look in the JsonBlup in the Codestart & ad just after according to what is written “INPUT”: [

1.) press “Enter” for a new line

2.) ad this:

{
“DEFAULT”: 0.40,
“MAX”: 1.00,
“MIN”: -1.00,
“NAME”: “yourjoice”,
“TYPE”: “float”
},

3.) go in the ISF code lookout intuitive for a number and check in the pictureoutput (viewer) what hapens if you changes this a bit. As a example:
np.xz+=cos(p.y*.4÷1.5);

changes the “.4” to “.6” or “-.4”
& if u see this givs a intressting change in the picturoutput so you’ve found what you’re looking for (a intresting option for realtime operation in your performance) and can replace the number with the input name above in normal brackets, which then looks like this:
np.xz+=cos(p.y*(yourjoice)÷1.5)

The Input-Name is up to you bud mast be in lowercase letters.
The MIN & MAX defined the fader range in your realtime programm & the DEFAULT is best to teak the original number witch you wad replace, in the example .4 what is 0.40 the 0. is often not to se in the shadercodes just the “.” so you know its 0.40.

All of that works just for “flots” but not just onenumbers too for numbers with a “.” and so mutch as you like numbers behind of it.

If you like to build more Inputs for more options (Faders) in your realtimevideo App just coppy moore of “2.)” and replace it with other names for the next number, and so, and so.

So i hope i was helpful, have god codings and see you, bennoH.:panda_face: +:hamster:&:hamster:

Links:
ISF Desktop-Editor (free of charch) :
https://isf.vidvox.net/desktop-editor/

VIDVOX-ISF Doc / Adding Inputs to ISFs:

Detailed Doc of the ISF J Son Blob and moore:

-------------------------

:volcano::smiley:
But don’t be too worried about what’s new, at the moment build ISFs with inputs, the ISF format has already been involved in the Vulkan specifications, so that backwards compatibility and thus the usability under Vulkan for ISFs will be guaranteed. This is not least because Vulkan in itself is just a new version of openGL, however with basic adjustments and innovations, of ouer truh and beloved OpenGL!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@Bennoh, thank you for sharing, but your opinions on ISF vs SPIR-V need more research and understanding.

See this StackOver flow link: shader - Difference between Spir-v, GLSL and HLSL - Stack Overflow

You can’t compare SPIR-V to high-level languages like GLSL and HLSL. Those are different things. SPIR-V is an intermediate, platform-independent representation (that’s the “I” in SPIR-V), which aims to decouple Vulkan (as the API) from the actual high-level shading language (e.g. GLSL and HLSL). So (as you noted), Vulkan implementations do not really know about GLSL or HLSL and can only consume SPIR-V shaders.

With this in mind it now pretty much does not matter at all what high-level language you then choose (GLSL, HLSL, something totally different) as long as you have a way of generating SPIR-V from that shading language. For GLSL you e.g. use the GLSL reference compiler to generate SPIR-V, and for HLSL you can use the DirectX Shader Compiler to generate SPIR-V. Even though HLSL comes from the DirectX world, it has an officially supported SPIR-V compiler backend that’s production ready. Whether you use GLSL or HLSL is then mostly a personal choice. HLSL is more common in the commercial space, as the language is more modern than GLSL, with things like templates. But in the end the choice is yours.

As for MacOS: MoltenVK is a MacOS/iOS compatible Vulkan implementation on top of metal. So everything that is true for Vulkan is also true for MoltenVK (on MacOS and iOS). So as for Windows, Android or Linux you provide your shaders in SPIR-V. And as SPIR-V shaders are platform independent, your generated SPIR-V will work on all platforms that support Vulkan (unless you use specific extensions in your shader that are simply not available on a certain platform).

As for SPIR-V cross: It probably won’t be something you need when writing a game. As you decided what shading language you use, and then use a compiler for that shading language to generate the SPIR-V that you feed to Vulkan you most probably won’t need to convert back from SPIR-V, as all your source shaders are written in a high-level language.

Or Apple Developers talking about Apple leaving Vulkan (remember Apple uses Metal):
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/38469

As mentioned above. GLSL / ISF shaders can be converted. VDMX6 uses metal and automatically converts your ISF shaders to Metal shaders.

2 Likes

Thank you very much dear Cornelius for the clarifications. But actually I shouldn’t have said anything about Spir-V and so on, it would have been better, because I was interested in the two new ISFs provided and Emptyhead enjoyment of them, so I primarily wanted to fulfill him’s wish and show a easy way of making Shadertoys into ISFs with inputs even without really in-depth programming knowledge and knowledge of HLSL or ISF or openGL etc.and all of that.
Of course, for my new Resolume Arena plugin project I now change the Shadertoys codes a bit moo accordingly after importing them to ISF, as well as other fundamental things in the code, but that has to do with my experience with exactly the method described for input implementation and happens automatically by time of intrests.

But something different, Cornelius: Did you like my ISFs and are you pleased that I put something new on isf.video and that I tried to give the Emptyhead what they asked for?

They’re great @bennoH thank you for sharing with the community!

1 Like

Thank you very much, so I will make some more for the ISF community from time to time.
Should I show this here again in short, I don’t know exactly?

Yes, feel free to share your ISF shaders on the forums.

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t expect such a thorough and helpful response. Thank you so much! I’m moving my equipment currently so I haven’t had any time to try anything out, but I am very much looking forward to it.

1 Like

Everything’s fine, I’m glad if that helps and maybe more new, compiled shadertoys will appear on the isf.video platform.

Here are a couple of additional tips:
Always try to get the “ISF Desktop Editor” from VIDVOX first by using the web address of the shadertoy post and the main menu item “import from shadertoy” in the ISF-Desktopeditor. If you get error messages like “iChanals” or “iMouse” things cannot be transferred or only black is visible on the desktop editor’s output viewer, leave this Shadertoy and look for another one. You can also click away error messages and see what works, sometimes especially with only iMouse or pure audio channels as iChanals the ISF still works and run. & I simply delete audio iChanals in the ISF code. But for the time being I would not bother with such complex manual corrections and in such cases simply look for another cool Shadertoy to work with & create the “float” inputs there, because you have to create all of these inputs by hand and you should concentrate on that first with my method, because this leads to very quick, useful successes and motivates.
Over time you will see again and again how code elements such as an X rotation or a zoom are built by others and the best thing to do next is to learn some other type of inputs apart from the ones shown (float’s). Get to know “COLOR” and try out the FragColor synthaxes or other types.

So, have a safe move and lots of fun then, I hope we see a contribution from you on isv.video, which I would of course be very happy about.

Best greetings bennoH.:panda_face: