Video capture devices thread

Thanks Adam - this stuff gets expensive fast! I’ll check out those links you sent me but I think I’d need to save up for them before I inviest £600 etc on top of everything else.

And thanks for mentioning the camera. I’m still looking at various models but I’ll let you know if I settle on the Sony.

Cheers,

Bill

1 Like

No problem, thanks for asking. I’m sure someone else will find this useful down the road.

H.265 is trickier to edit on older machines or NLEs, but you can convert the files or make proxies to ease that.

1 Like

Well…I’ve decided on the ClonerAlliance Box UHD Lite, Standalone 4K H.265 HDMI Video but can’t find it to purchase in the UK. Has anyone seen it for sale over here or have a good equivalent? I could go with the 1080p Evolve version but was hoping to future proof my set up rather than having to upgrade to a 4K capture model at a later date.

Cheers!

I purchased a “knock off” Evolve from eBay for $40 back in the day. It worked exactly the same and even took the ClonerAlliance firmware update. They are a reseller.

I’ve purchased directly from other manufacturers on Alibaba to get identical devices, so it doesn’t have to be ClonerAlliance brand. The reason I usually recommend them is that they sell on Amazon; so if you don’t like it — you can return it. (Or, if you are traveling and need it in a hurry, then you can order one and it in 1-2 days).

If you email them directly, they should be able to give you an update on delivery estimates and times.

I’ll look through my suppliers’ notes and see if they sell this unit. But until then, you can try to grab one from a manufacturer directly. I searched: “h265 HDMI video capture 4K 30FPS” You can see they are identical devices.

Thanks Cornelius!

Trying to get one in the UK and not get stung by customs. I’ll search under ebay as you’ve noted. Wasn’t sure if the knock off at that price would be as consistent as something 5 times the price. Glad to know you’ve managed to get it to work though…much cheaper!

Cheers,

Bill

1 Like

Hello to all,

I’m bringing up this topic again, because even if it is vast, I didn’t find the answer to all my questions. Thanks in advance for your clarifications/experiences.

For a project in progress, it is planned to use 4-8 cameras simultaneously. For each camera I will not exceed 1080p. I have at least one MBP M1 Max 64Gb RAM at my disposal. I am thinking about the best technique and organization and here are my questions:

1. When using an external PCIe box (i.e Sonnettech) with BMD Decklink Duo (4x SDI) do we have 4 separate sources in VDMX? And does this system work normally (no lag due to 4 cam. through a single Thunderbolt 3 cable).

2. To bring in more than 4 cameras, what is the best configuration according to your experience? 2x PCIe boxes with one Decklink Duo card each or 1 single PCIe box with DeckLink Quad 2 card (8x SDI). Or maybe better 2 laptop each with their own acquisition card ?

3. Has anyone experienced this kind of complex configuration; can a single MPB support 8 camera inputs and are they detected separately in VDMX?

4. I don’t have much experience with this type of complex installation. What is your opinion on my approach? How would you proceed? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Ooh, that’s a lot of questions :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I’m available for more details; thank you in advance.

Greetings

Nico

I wrote about my success using an Atomos Ninja V for capture here.

1 Like